@Wrathrob - How are your new Ayups?

notsoblue
notsoblue Posts: 5,756
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
Just wondering...

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,949
    Good choice - I have some dating back from the end of 2007.

Thinking of sending them back for the various upgrades they can carry out at cost price it would seem.

Quality is amazing, as are the batteries.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    They are frikin awesome! Been out in RP a few times after dark then they absolutely rock. Last time JZed has his cheapo Magicshine with him and I think the Ayup's had it licked in pretty much every area, except for the value for money stakes. And I don't have to worry about exploding batteries or it failing in the rain.

On the road I've been running them on 1/2 power and I've definitely noticed a difference in terms of how visible I am to other road users. Cars pulling out of side roads give me much more space (i.e. they wait rather than try and nip out in front of me).

£150 well spent? So far they definitely are. They only thing better would be to get the V4 kit and run 1 set on the front and 1 set on the rear, but that's overkill for most road commutes!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    They are frikin awesome! Been out in RP a few times after dark then they absolutely rock. Last time JZed has his cheapo Magicshine with him and I think the Ayup's had it licked in pretty much every area, except for the value for money stakes. And I don't have to worry about exploding batteries or it failing in the rain.

On the road I've been running them on 1/2 power and I've definitely noticed a difference in terms of how visible I am to other road users. Cars pulling out of side roads give me much more space (i.e. they wait rather than try and nip out in front of me).

£150 well spent? So far they definitely are. They only thing better would be to get the V4 kit and run 1 set on the front and 1 set on the rear, but that's overkill for most road commutes!

Good to hear as I ordered a set yesterday
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • notsoblue
    I think you mentioned this elsewhere Rob, but how long did it take to arrive?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    edited October 2011
    Ayup V4 Adventure:
    1317288713456-1k0f1k74wp18u-800-75.jpg

Hope Vision R4:
    1317291850139-kdc2t1d33jt-800-75.jpg

Hmmm.....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Wrath Rob
    7 days from order to door (Friday to Friday), of which 1 day was with DHL waiting for payment of duty (£16). Funky little box as well but its now sat in a cupboard waiting for me to thing of a use for it.
  • notsoblue
    Ayup V4 Adventure:
    1317288713456-1k0f1k74wp18u-800-75.jpg

Hope Vision R4:
    1317291850139-kdc2t1d33jt-800-75.jpg

Hmmm.....

I'm pretty sure you can choose a different beam type with Ayups, i.e. wide or narrow. In the two pictures you posted above the Hope Vision might have a wider beam but the Ayup is actually brighter (seems to light up a greater distance).
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yeah, the Ayup looks like much more of a spot.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • when are you planning next adventure in RP - would be good to see them in action?
    Rose Pro DX Cross 3000
    GT Edge Ti
    Ribble Audax
  • Wrath Rob
    I'm dead this week so its likely to be next. Drop me a PM and I'll keep you in the loop (pardon the pun)