Right, This fat tax........

gb155
gb155 Posts: 2,048
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
Let's get it sorted

Anyone got David Cameron's email ? I've got a GREAT Idea :)
On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
Now the hard work starts.

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    What fat tax?
  • gb155

• notsoblue
    gb155 wrote:

Whats wrong with that? Bad food is too cheap... making it more expensive might work? Would be good if they used it to subsidise healthier food.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    A great idea, together with a ban on advertising crap to kids.
  • gb155
    notsoblue wrote:
    gb155 wrote:

Whats wrong with that? Bad food is too cheap... making it more expensive might work? Would be good if they used it to subsidise healthier food.

I didnt say there was anything wrong with it tho

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Instead of taxing it, just add something that tastes really discusting to fatty foods so they taste worse than healthy food. Only thing that would work imho.
  • You up for a rebate? :lol:
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Yes, put a massive tax on it, BUT, you are exempt from this tax if you are wearing lycra and went to the shop selling the fatty food by bike.

I has been known for me to have a kebab (shish not doner) after a ride. I need the fat sometimes.

I've just spotted the flaw in my plan. Fatties wearing lycra.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Yes, put a massive tax on it, BUT, you are exempt from this tax if you are wearing lycra and went to the shop selling the fatty food by bike.

I has been known for me to have a kebab (shish not doner) after a ride. I need the fat sometimes.

I've just spotted the flaw in my plan. Fatties wearing lycra.
    How about if you don't look like the michellin man (or woman) in lycra.
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    I am against this. Why? Because I fundamentally disagree with the conventional wisdom of what is and isn't healthy food. Saturated fat is not the demon it's made out to be and as far as I'm concerned anything in a fancy package that makes claims to be healthy almost inevitably isn't.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • CrackFox
    CrackFox Posts: 287
    AidanR wrote:
    I am against this. Why? Because I fundamentally disagree with the conventional wisdom of what is and isn't healthy food. Saturated fat is not the demon it's made out to be and as far as I'm concerned anything in a fancy package that makes claims to be healthy almost inevitably isn't.

Did you once post something about the paleo diet, or was that someone else?
  • AidanR
    I did, yes.
  • CrackFox
    A post to Mark's Daily Apple IIRC. Are you still following it? I read a couple of Loren Cordain's books - certainly interesting stuff, but I haven't put it to the test. I'd be interesting in hearing your experiences.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Just avoid anything that's processed and you won't go far wrong.
  • AidanR
    CrackFox wrote:
    A post to Mark's Daily Apple IIRC. Are you still following it? I read a couple of Loren Cordain's books - certainly interesting stuff, but I haven't put it to the test. I'd be interesting in hearing your experiences.

It's going well. I've never exactly been fat, but have put on around 6kg of muscle and lost 8kg of fat in a year. This is due to a change in diet and in the way I exercise, but I have no idea how much is attributable to each.

It must be said, I have a temperament suited to cutting out foodstuffs from my diet. Once I've taken the decision not to eat something, it just falls off my radar. I know not everyone is like this, and many people will instead focus on foods they can't eat.

Anything specific you'd like to know about?
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    So what's the solution to this obesity issue?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707

more cycling.... :lol:
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998

Eat more, do less.

Or something like that.

What do I know about fat, I'm 65kgs! :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • CrackFox
    edited October 2011
    AidanR wrote:
    It must be said, I have a temperament suited to cutting out foodstuffs from my diet. Once I've taken the decision not to eat something, it just falls off my radar. I know not everyone is like this, and many people will instead focus on foods they can't eat.

Anything specific you'd like to know about?

Like you I don't have a problem with weight, but I do find it harder to gain muscle mass. I was a vegetarian for a long time, so a transition to a diet that has such a strong emphasis on meat is not an easy one - and it's harder to convince my g/f who has only recently started eating seafood.

But what interests me most is whether eliminating carbs has a negative effect on cycling performance. I skimmed Cordain's 'Paleo Diet for Athletes', but the advice in that book seemed to contradict the whole Grok thing of not eating anything that you can't find in nature. When you first adopted the diet, did it negatively effect your performance on the bike and if it did, has that negative impact disappeared as your body has adapted to the new diet?
  • Wallace1492
    before cycling: 65915_160832087279745_100000588654431_422580_21504_n.jpg

After (same top): 40869_160832067279747_100000588654431_422579_5974343_n.jpg
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    bails87 wrote:

Eat more, do less.

Or something like that.

What do I know about fat, I'm 65kgs! :wink:

:D

What I meant though is what, if anything, should governments do? Diabetes is a global epidemic - it's only going to get worse
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • se-po
    se-po Posts: 47
    before cycling: 65915_160832087279745_100000588654431_422580_21504_n.jpg

After (same top): 40869_160832067279747_100000588654431_422579_5974343_n.jpg

You lost your medal!
  • Wallace1492
    se-po wrote:

You lost your medal!

Along with 2 stone...... :D:D:D
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    suzyb wrote:
    Instead of taxing it, just add something that tastes really discusting to fatty foods so they taste worse than healthy food. Only thing that would work imho.

yeah I'm sure business will flock to that idea :lol:

Hey buy my stuff it's got no redeeming features

This new chocolate bar looks and tastes like a poo

Brilliant
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    se-po wrote:

You lost your medal!

and the camp attitude it seems :wink:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Clever Pun wrote:
    se-po wrote:

You lost your medal!

Oooh, look at her!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Wallace1492
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    se-po wrote:

You lost your medal!

Oooh, look at her!

Well happy not to be filling the top as much... and better than the better pic now... All down to cycling...
  • AidanR
    edited October 2011
    @CrackFox

Actually, although meat is obviously a part of the diet, it's not really a protein-heavy diet. I know they prefer not to talk so much in terms of macronutrients, but realistically it's lowish carb, medium protein, highish fat. The emphasis is more on not eating what are regarded as foods we didn't eat during the majority of our evolutionary history, but you know that!

Regarding muscle, I'd say that 3 things have helped, and none of them are related to diet (though I have always a had decent protein intake). They are:

1) Doing proper lifts, rather than split-set weights. I roughly follow the Stronglifts 5x5 programme, and though the claims made for it are (inevitably) somewhat exaggerated it has been quite effective. I supplement it with bodyweight exercises.
    2) Cutting down on cardio. I still go out for long rides, and still do intervals, but the stuff in between I don't do so much of any more.
    3) Sprints. They burn fat like cardio, but build rather than burn muscle.

As for my cycling performance... dunno. I'm a recreational cyclist so I don't really monitor my performance closely enough to give you any truly reliable indications. That said, I do century rides etc, and I'm not a weak cyclist. Carbs or lack thereof affect different people in different ways - I personally haven't had a problem with lowering them, but you might. I tend to do all things in moderation so haven't cut them completely, nor do I think anyone should.
  • notsoblue
    All down to cycling...
    Really? How much do you cycle?
  • Wallace1492
    notsoblue wrote:
    All down to cycling...
    Really? How much do you cycle?

Since pic 1 I started cycling to work every day.... 8 miles each way, not a huge distance and was a tough challenge to start with. But perserverence has paid off. I now do about 500 miles a month between commuting and MTBing... Gave up gym, and am loving life....