Ipad2 or EEE Pad Transformer

newtez2
newtez2 Posts: 209
edited October 2011 in The bottom bracket
Hi Guys

Need some input! im after a tablet but hell bent on what to get
Yes i like the Ipad2 but this Eee pad transformer looks awsome and some of the reviews are saying its better than the ipad2!
longer battery, it can run flash, has a microsd slot for more mem!
the list goes on !
hills are made for climbing .....
Bikes
2008 Gaint TCR
1990 Mike Mullet 531c
1980 BSA javerlin
1975 Trike.

Comments

• no question - the EEE Pad will seriously out perform the ipad as a useful machine - but if you want something to coffee table impress the ipad2 has it...... until you want to do rather than review on it

have been looking at the Asus Iconia W500 too, which has twice the RAM twice the speed

http://www.acer.co.uk/ac/en/GB/content/ ... .RK602.026
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    I agree with Mad Roadie, I bought the first iPad and overall I'm disappointed with it. I haven't upgraded to iPad 2 and I think I would prefer an Android based tablet.

The iPad hasn't knocked my socks off - but I haven't tried any others to compare it with.
  • I am writing the post on an Asus Transformer and I am a little biased.
    I don't go a huge amount for Apple products anyway and Android makes sense as I use the services.
    Wouldn't go for the Acer if I were you as the reviews I read weren't that great.
    Summer - Dolan Tuono with Sram Force and Dura-Ace 7850 CL Carbon wheels
    Winter - old faithful Ribble winter bike
    SugarSync cloud storage referral link (better than DropBox atm imho) https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?rf=mzo2tcrhm5gn
  • newtez2
    I have the apple itouch and love it but have a real problem with itunes! it really isnt user friendly in fact i *****ing hate it! i have lost song and playlist are shot to bits, and can not get my headround the whole itune functions, thats why im put of buying the ipad..
    Bikes
    2008 Gaint TCR
    1990 Mike Mullet 531c
    1980 BSA javerlin
    1975 Trike.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    ipad for me - the ease of use of choice of apps wins it for me.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Yep, iPad. For me too. It's all about what it does and how it does it. Battery life, etc. are all secondary.
  • newtez2
    Will the ipad play the bbc iplayer or the other channels on the net like channel 4 and ITV?
    Bikes
    2008 Gaint TCR
    1990 Mike Mullet 531c
    1980 BSA javerlin
    1975 Trike.
  • APIII
    newtez2 wrote:
    Will the ipad play the bbc iplayer or the other channels on the net like channel 4 and ITV?

There's an app for that :D
  • APIII
    Actually, one of the best things is the eurosport player. £2.39 for a months subscription. I get it for the giro and tour.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,089
    Another apple fanboy here!
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I see liitle advantage in what the Transformer offers. Battery life on the iPad is excellent - I can't see an instance where more than 10 hours is really of value. Nor do I see value in more storage space. The keyboard is a total red herring as it's available for the iPad too - though it misses the point of the tablet completely.

Flash is the biggest red herring. The only place I miss Flash is on the BBC news/sport website where video content is still Flash (for reasons best known to the BBC) - no great loss. There are apps for everything else - iPlayer, ITVPlayer, YouTube etc plus loads of neat extras like RWC app, F1 etc. Overall I'd say there's more advantages to the iPads apps than there is loss from the lack of Flash (which should have been killed off by now).

I never use iTunes on either my iPhone or iPad and I hate it as much as the next man.

By all means get the Transformer but do so for the right reasons - mostly preference for operating system.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • leech
    leech Posts: 77
    Got an iPad 2 and I'm happy with it. The flash thing can be a bit of an issue. Can't view your Garmin connect graphs and stuff without flash. Need to rely on my crappy, bottom of the range acer laptop for that and for the downloading of data as there's no USB slot.

iPad 2 battery can't last anywhere near 10 hours though.
  • meanredspider
    Leech wrote:

iPad 2 battery can't last anywhere near 10 hours though.

What on earth do you use it for? I get 10 hours no problem from mine.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • leech
    Just mooching at stuff and twitter rubbish. Never 10 hours though. Maybe 6 or 7, which is still more than a couple of days use. Bought one of those flappy covers from the apple shop that switch it off without pressing the on/off button. That may have something to do with it.
  • meanredspider
    Hmm - that's what I use mine for - with the same cover. Get a good 10 hours. My son does from the iPad too.
  • APIII
    If you leave apps running in the background it will drain the battery quicker.
  • leech
    The kids play peppa pig games on mine all of the time. Maybe more often than I know!
  • Love my iPad... For what I use it for brilliant!
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    One of the reasons I don't like the iPad is that I'm missing half the knitwear. This forum limits the size of any image displayed and sets 2 parameters "overflow-x: auto;" and "overflow-y: auto;" which means you get scroll bars if the image is too large - this allows you to scroll up/down and left/right to see all of the image. The iPad browser doesn't support this so I'm missing a lot of the images, you only see the top left corner of the image on the iPad.

Also a lot of sites use various scripts or CSS code that just don't work on the iPad. Now I know this isn't Apple's fault - the site should test on every possible device to check it works (yeh right), but at least once a week I have to put the iPad down because I can't do what I need to on it and go to the PC instead.

Add to that the fact that a lot of sites use Adobe Flash (whether you like it or not they do) then you have a browser that is pretty incompatible.

I also don't like the auto-correct spell checker, it's too small and often corrects things without me noticing and then I have to delete it and type the word again. I know I can click the "X" to stop it each time, but it's so small I often just don't notice that it knows better than me and is going to change what I've typed.

What I need to do is test an Android tablet to see if it has the same problems - anybody want to lend me a Motorola Xoom for a few weeks to do the testing? :D