Canal ---> London Eye

fallingoff
fallingoff Posts: 332
edited October 2011 in Commuting general
I'm looking for a route which I believe exists the Grand Union Canal to the London Eye.
I can pick up the GU @ the Slough arm and I know I can get to Kings cross station where it ends.
Has anyone used this route or is anyone aware of the route?
Thanks.

Comments

• The Slough arm of the Grand Union Canal starts on Stoke Road Slough and joins the main canal at Cowley from here you can get all the way to the Paddington Basin (next to Paddington Station). Just before the Paddington Basin you there's little Venice where you can join the Regent's canal and follow that all the way out towards Limehouse.

To get to the London Eye you'd have to come off the canal at some point to cross the river.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Well worth the investigation and during a weekday so less traffic (benefit of shift work.. :wink: ),I am aware of the route taking the stop lock at Cowley,and the route to Paddington peels off at Bulls Bridge doesn't it?
    It keeps it interesting to not know exactly where you're going...cheers... :D
  • redhanded
    redhanded Posts: 139
    I've cycled quite a few times from Brentford to Limehouse on the Grand Union & Regents canals and Brentford to Slough using the Slough branch of the Grand Union.

The canals don't go anywhere near the London Eye so it is a question of where you leave the canal and the route into central London.

If you come in on the Slough Branch of the GU, the decision will be to turn right to Brentford then leave the canal and head into central London from there or turn left. If left, the canal loops up to the north through Southall before heading back into London. Going via Brentford will be a lot shorter but you will only have a short stretch on the canal and the rest on roads into central London.

If you do go the longer way through Southall, I'd probably look at leaving the canal around Westbourne Park, then heading over to Hyde Park, Hyde Park Corner, Green Park then across Westminster Bridge to the London Eye.