Clipless...or stay with the safe option...

2»

Comments

• Regarding the platforms with amber reflectors... I might be wrong but my understanding is that it's illegal to cycle in the dark without pedal reflectors so I think that will be why they will be fitted on new bikes.

I think the reason they are required by law is because they give other road users perspective of the distance you are away from them because they can judge the distance between the top and bottom of the pedal cycle whereas a rear reflector on the frame can't be used in this way.

My bike came fitted with them and I don't cycle in the dark anyway so it's not a problem for me. I would think most cyclists using clipless pedals after dark are illegal but I don't know if any policeman would actually be a jobsworth and do anything about it.... although it could maybe go against you if you're in a road accident the dark and you are seeking compensation?
  • thats right philipjohnson, it is illegal to cycle without front and rear pedal reflectors in the hours of darkness. A lot of cyclists deny this, but it is the law.
    From what I've gathered they do exist, to a degree, but no one imports them because no cyclists buy them (I dislike amber reflectors alot but...the law is the law). I only want them because of the law.

This has really limited my option of pedal a lot now :? I can find relfectors for 2 shimano pedals....I did see a picture of velcro strapped wellgo relflectors...but can't find them anywhere
  • I tried clipless recently after many years of using toe clips.

I guess they don't agree with me. After a week I developed a knee problem which has kept me off the bike for 3 1/2 weeks. So I'm back to clips and straps. And I'll probably treat myself to some new pedals and clips as compensation...

This means I have some virtually unused M520 pedals plus dhb M1 shoes, size 45, looking for a new owner.

I would normally be a 44 but got 45 since received wisdom seems to be to do that for clipless shoes. I would say they are a tad big so a 44 would have done. I take an 8 1/2 or 9 in ordinary shoes.
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    Sent you a PM quartermain :wink:
  • cookdn
    cookdn Posts: 410
    I tried clipless recently after many years of using toe clips.

I guess they don't agree with me. After a week I developed a knee problem which has kept me off the bike for 3 1/2 weeks. So I'm back to clips and straps.
    A friend of mine was the same, however in retrospect he thinks it may be down to poor positioning/orientation of the cleat. He now is having another go after a number of years back in clipped/caged pedals as he is hoping to improve his bike performance in quadrathlon events.
    This means I have some virtually unused M520 pedals plus dhb M1 shoes, size 45, looking for a new owner.

I would normally be a 44 but got 45 since received wisdom seems to be to do that for clipless shoes. I would say they are a tad big so a 44 would have done. I take an 8 1/2 or 9 in ordinary shoes.
    Good wisdom for Shimano shoes which are sized notoriously small.

Best regards
    Boardman CX Team
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Thanks Godders1, helpful photos

Well.....I pretty convinced it's the way to go now. I think one thing thats attracting me is being able to cycle in rain, not slip off the pedals and change into dry shoes at the other end.

I'll probably email wiggle and CRC about the reflector platforms - I've seen some similar to the ones you photo'd Godders1, but as has been said they don't all come with them (to be honest the reflector quality is a bit annoying - my flats have holes for reflectors....used them....and one reflector fell out! oh well)

I've got to pick a pedal under £40 now, liked the wellgos due to the pins, shame they seem to be the only ones.

Get these double sided Shimnao M520 SPDs, easy in, easy out and you can easily walk in cycling shoes with SPDs.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=3759

Anything else for everyday commuting is just a faff. For club riding and longer riding where you are not potentially stop starting as in commuting get proper cleats and corresponding rigid cycling shoes such as Sidi which means it is hard to walk in the cycling shoes as there are cleats on the bottom of your shoes but the attachment of shoe to pedal is so much better. Simples.

Btw none of the SPD or cleat pedals I have ever bought have had reflectors and I have never fitted any. My SPD shoes do have Scotch lite on the heals. Neither have I ever seen any enforcement of so called pedal reflector legislation as thousands of bikes on the roads do not have them. It is more important to have good lights and wear a helmet :wink: .
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    thats right philipjohnson, it is illegal to cycle without front and rear pedal reflectors in the hours of darkness. A lot of cyclists deny this, but it is the law.
    From what I've gathered they do exist, to a degree, but no one imports them because no cyclists buy them (I dislike amber reflectors alot but...the law is the law). I only want them because of the law.

This has really limited my option of pedal a lot now :? I can find relfectors for 2 shimano pedals....I did see a picture of velcro strapped wellgo relflectors...but can't find them anywhere

Not ever ever ever have I seen legislation relating to pedal reflectors being enforced. Forget fitting pedal reflectors and get yourself some good lights instead. When I was knocked down on both occasions, first time with cleated Look shoes and then wearing Shimano SPDs neither of which had pedal reflectors, this didn't even figure on plods radar who are the ones who enforce this crap out dated piece of legislation which no one adheres to. 2nd time plod kindly took my damaged bike in their van back to the police station for safe keeping, so presumably they had every opportunity to inspect it. It was a non issue as in the first time I was knocked down. I had several excellent lights and was wearing a high viz gilet and still both motons drove into me. Pedal reflectors would have made diddly squat of a difference. Anyway how do you fit reflectors to a Campag Chorus cleat pedal?

Just buy the Shimano M520s that I and others mention and some cheap but good Shimano MT31 or 41 shoes.

Cycling in toe clips and trainers is so naff and inefficient.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • msw
    msw Posts: 313
    cookdn wrote:
    I tried clipless recently after many years of using toe clips.

I guess they don't agree with me. After a week I developed a knee problem which has kept me off the bike for 3 1/2 weeks. So I'm back to clips and straps.
    A friend of mine was the same, however in retrospect he thinks it may be down to poor positioning/orientation of the cleat.

I'll second that - I had terrible knee pain for months and then had a bike fit which included positioning the cleats on my shoes properly. The pain went away overnight. There are different schools of thought on how far forward or back the cleats should be but one constant seems to be that you should aim to have the same amount of left-right "float" in either direction when clipped in (assuming that your pedals/cleats allow any float at all).

I used tipp-ex to mark the position on the soles of the shoes so I can get it right when I replace cleats. I dread to think what happens when I eventually need a new pair of shoes.
    "We're not holding up traffic. We are traffic."
  • Thanks for the advice!

It does seem silly when you have high vis, lights etc, maybe Cameron will address it like the outdated mp3 laws. Unlikely though - unless cyclists go on a massive campaign :shock:

Those shimano M520s are the pedals I wanted, but only having the one bike I have to be practical....so I need one sided unfortunately. I know it'll be a bit of a nuscience but thats life. It's gonna have to be the shimano M324s sadly. Not the flashiest but they're flat and take reflectors. Those M520s do have a plastic platform you can buy...but will it last? I think not somehow :roll:
  • cookdn wrote:
    As Rolf F and DaxPlusPlus state be careful that you are sure that the pedals include the cleats, I spotted this inconsistency yesterday when I was looking at M520s on-line. I have temporarily borrowed the SPD pedals from my MTB for my new Boardman CX so need an additional pair.

I could get-away with a cleat-less pair, but I suspect I will buy a second pair of shoes. I am finding that the relatively wide heel of my MT42s can catch the chainstay on the Boardman depending on the position of my feet on the pedal as the Q and frame tolerances are smaller than the MTB.

With Cleats:
    Wiggle - £22.99
    High On Bikes (eBay) - £22.95
    Chain Reaction Cycles - £22.99

Without Cleats:
    Absolute Cycles (eBay) - £14.95

Not specified:
    Ribble - £18.36 (£22.95 + £2.95 p&p)

Best regards

Just to confirm that my Shimano M520's from Planet X / On One came with cleats and reflective platforms. £19.99.