Headset questions.

Mojo_666
Mojo_666 Posts: 860
edited October 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I blew a seal on my forks and when I took them off to send em to get fixed I noticed my headset bearing were shot (or at least the lower ones were) I grabbed a new headset and have fitted the cups etc but I just have a couple of queries based on my observations doing this work.

1) My old headset had 1 tapered split washer? at the top the new headset comes with 2 1 each for the top and bottom? the top one is steel and fits well and the other is anodised in the same colour as the headset.

Why the difference between headsets or did I leave one on the forks? (not had them back yet)

Headset is this one

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... a884ffad20

2) The star nut in the steerer tube seemed a little corroded I guess this is normal but having a new nut sent with the new headset left me wondering if the expectation was to replace the star nut or is it simply supplied in case this headset is for new forks?

3) Also (not that I am considering this) but would there ever be a reason to replace the steerer tube? is this even possible?

Cheers

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    1 - no idea
    2 - No need to replace the one that's in there.
    3 Possible (sometimes)
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    I blew a seal on my forks and when I took them off to send em to get fixed I noticed my headset bearing were shot (or at least the lower ones were) I grabbed a new headset and have fitted the cups etc but I just have a couple of queries based on my observations doing this work.

1) My old headset had 1 tapered split washer? at the top the new headset comes with 2 1 each for the top and bottom? the top one is steel and fits well and the other is anodised in the same colour as the headset.

Why the difference between headsets or did I leave one on the forks? (not had them back yet)

Headset is this one

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... a884ffad20

2) The star nut in the steerer tube seemed a little corroded I guess this is normal but having a new nut sent with the new headset left me wondering if the expectation was to replace the star nut or is it simply supplied in case this headset is for new forks?

3) Also (not that I am considering this) but would there ever be a reason to replace the steerer tube? is this even possible?

Cheers

1)You've left the bearing race on the forks, some are split to aid installation some aren't, so no, no difference.

2)Probably easier to use the existing star nut as you would need a starnut setter to install the new one, a little corrosion is normal, it's not a safety critical part as its only used to preload the bearings.

3)You can replace the fork uppers but there would be no reason unless you've bent or scratched the stanchions
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Thanks Dirtydog

Just one more question regarding the bearing races.

Why the difference between them? as they came out of the head set box the red anodised one was paired with the lower bearings/cup and the steel one with the top set.

Now the steel one (the top one) fits better than the anodised one and has a fit feel the same as the one I took off so I assume all is OK, however the anodised one has a slightly different shape and does not seat as well and without having a comparison due to me sending the old one off with the forks I am just curious as to why this might be.

All might become clearer when I get the forks and the old on back but if you could satisfy my curiosity between now and then I would be very grateful.