Helmet light

joelsim
joelsim Posts: 7,552
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
Having been in the car last night across London town and witnessing the truly appalling state of cyclist lighting, I am going to invest in a helmet light to support my main Cateyes and secondary Knogs. Yes I know I will look like a Christmas tree, but that is no bad thing.

Can anyone suggest one that is rugged and relatively light which won't break the bank please? rechargeable would be a bonus too.

Comments

• depends on your helmet. I use a small knog like one from decathlon that kicks out a surprising amount of light for 2 LEDs and lights up the street furniture a good way off, light as a feather & flat as a pancake It was fine on my old raleigh lid but but doesn't fit on my bell avanti as the vents and polystyrene areas aren't conducive to its wraparound rubber band fixing. I've had to ziptie it on.

I did use a smart lunar 25 up there in a proper helmet mount but it was way OTT for the job and was really noticeable weight wise when tilting my head one way or t'other.

there is a recent thread -couple of weeks or so- somewhere on commuting or in road beginners I think asking this exact same question.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    10998_sml1.gif
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,949
    Saw this posted on antoher thread: http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Topeak-HeadLux-Helmet-Light_34492.htm?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Product_Search&utm_campaign=Froogle02

topeak-headlux-med.jpg

As we have Ayup's at home, I bought some red diffusers that they sell, together with a new battery that allows flashing mode - it's something like a plane coming into land when she gets home :D

4.jpg
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • I asked the same question a couple of weeks back and decided on the Topeak Headlux (pictured above). Very light, unobtrusive, but all-round visibility and puts out enough light to grab the attention of those you look at and stop them from pulling out. Battery should last a long while too.

I'm lit up to the extent that I have to ride at the back of the group but with nights closing in I am more than happy with that. The safer the better.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Knog on the back of my helmet
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • I've been using Cateye loop lights on the front and back of my helmet for a good six months now and they're fine, but I'm not convinced the white light is terribly bright and with the watch style batteries they begin to fade very quickly (that and they look a bit spaz).

Funnily enough, however, on my way into work last night I was pulled up alongside a guy with a very nifty and unobtrusive forward facing helmet light on and I asked him about it. It was a Moon Gem 2.0 (apparently), which charges via a USB connection and fits easily onto a helmet (I think it can swivel through 360 degrees on its fastening loop). Very tempted to get one myself.

moon_gem2.jpg

I think you are extremely wise to want a helmet light. After my off last year I was on the look out for those cyclists who were extra noticeable when riding at night and I found that the ones wearing helmet lights stood out above and beyond. I think one of the best functions of a forward facing helmet light is that you can aim your light directly at the drivers of those cars waiting at junctions who look like they might be about to pull out.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    What is a helmet?
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • joelsim
    I've been using Cateye loop lights on the front and back of my helmet for a good six months now and they're fine, but I'm not convinced the white light is terribly bright and with the watch style batteries they begin to fade very quickly (that and they look a bit spaz).

Funnily enough, however, on my way into work last night I was pulled up alongside a guy with a very nifty and unobtrusive forward facing helmet light on and I asked him about it. It was a Moon Gem 2.0 (apparently), which charges via a USB connection and fits easily onto a helmet (I think it can swivel through 360 degrees on its fastening loop). Very tempted to get one myself.

moon_gem2.jpg

I think you are extremely wise to want a helmet light. After my off last year I was on the look out for those cyclists who were extra noticeable when riding at night and I found that the ones wearing helmet lights stood out above and beyond. I think one of the best functions of a forward facing helmet light is that you can aim your light directly at the drivers of those cars waiting at junctions who look like they might be about to pull out.

This could be just the ticket! Only about 14 squid and rechargeable!
  • joelsim
    Bought the front and rear Gems for about £28 posted off Amazon. With USB it's got to be worth a shout if they are as big as a matchbox.
  • If it's just being visible that you want, and have something available if your lights fail, have you considered this?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/respro-hi-viz-helmet-band/

I've had one for years and you are defo seen from a distance
  • Joelsim wrote:
    Bought the front and rear Gems for about £28 posted off Amazon. With USB it's got to be worth a shout if they are as big as a matchbox.

Just ordered a front one. I still have betteries for my Cateyes so will hang onto the rear one for a while longer.
  • joelsim
    3 lights on the handlebars.

2 on the seatpost.

2 on the helmet.

2 on the rucksack.

That should be enough.
  • joelsim
    It's a good idea johnboy, I may get one
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Someone needs to stop me buying the Hope R4. I don't need one, but I do WANT one.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • joelsim
    Buy one then.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Buy two and give me one of them cos I'm always nice to you :twisted: