Test rides - bikes in range

Jamieg285
Jamieg285 Posts: 98
edited October 2011 in MTB general
How critical is it to ride the actual bike model when test riding?

For example, I'm looking at the Spec Carve. Only the base model is within my budget, but the LBS only has higher spec Carves.

Will a test ride on a higher/lower spec bike from the same range still be a good indicator, or should I persevere on finding the actual models that I would actually be buying?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    At the very least, you'll be able to check for size and how you feel with the geometry.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    im test riding a few different bikes and models at the moment.

only managed to pursade places on clean short rides, but hey they are lbs rather than trail centre, but some only let you sit on the bike.

for me its the frame etc which is more important ie trying your body shape / riding style on a specific frame. components will make a ride different, more comfortable etc etc but having to reach too far or not geting a good position over the pedals is going to have a more severe impact on your ride and power.

If you cant find the exact model look for similar geometry

one thing to look out for on the top of the range compared to the bottom is weight make sure you check that the cheaper componeents arnt going to add kg's to your ride and make it feel different again