Listening to Music

Red.Devil.Ghost
Red.Devil.Ghost Posts: 185
edited December 2011 in MTB beginners
When I go snowboarding, I love putting the earphones in and listening to some decent music while going down the mountain. Its ok for boarding as you can only be responsible for whats ahead of you and there is plenty of space for people to go around you. Sometimes, especially on runs I haven't done, I'll just one ear piece instead of both.

What about when your biking? I can see there is more need, especially on tracks, to be able to hear whats all around so if a faster rider is coming through you can pull over etc. So while ultimately its down to the individual, what do other people do? I reckon one ear piece in should be ok? Are there any official rules at trail centres etc?

Personally, anything adrenaline based is more enjoyable with loud rock music.

Cheers

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    As long as you can still hear whats going on around you.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I like getting away from all of that when I ride - no music at all.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Pru
    Pru Posts: 53
    I've observed that the typical opinion of the members of this forum is that biking with headphones is stupid. Although I completely understand, I love cycling to music as it sets the pace. But also, I have sensitive ears to the cold, I can't even bike during the summer without something to warm my ears and not end up with horrible pain.

I'm currently using Koss SportaPros because they let more sound in than other headphones I've tried, I still manage to be aware of my surroundings, which is more than I can say for the pedestrians that insist on walking along cycle paths! ABIKEONACYCLEPATH!?WTF!?!??
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    cooldad wrote:
    I like getting away from all of that when I ride - no music at all.

this, much easier to achieve ridiing zen state
  • I don't have the brain power to listen to music and concentrate on not crashing whilst offroading for a start.

Tried commuting to work with music on but didn't like it, definitely reduced my awareness of what was going on around me. I found wearing a headband good for stopping ear pin from wind.

Also I think I would get a bit annoyed it I was at a trail centre and wanted to pass someone and they couldn't hear me ask them. Be impressed if the earphones would stay in tbh.
    Focus Cayo Pro
    Cotic Soul custom
    Merida Cross 4
    Planet X Dirty Disco custom cyclocross
    Tern D8 clown bike
  • When riding I listen to my ipod quite loud to drown out the wind noise. This makes me more aware of my surroundings as I become more observant and look over my shoulder more to overtake things parked on the side of the road whereas I may be less careful If I had no headphones and didnt look over my shoulder as I couldnt hear anything coming up behind me.

Also, it makes the rides go quicker and is a kind of 'get-away-from-it-all' as I can listen to my own music without fearing the children will turn it over to their playlist or being asked to turn it down :)
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Couldn't think of anything worse than being out on the mountain and having music in my ears!
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • I love the chatter of the chain and the clicking of the rear hub! That's all the music I need!
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • mtb crazy
    mtb crazy Posts: 245
    personally i dont listen to music while riding, i guess its personal choice though..... if you crashed it might cause more injury with headphones.
  • d3matt
    d3matt Posts: 510
    Listening to music when on or off road seems to dangerous to me. However I see a lot of people do. Having a mirror on your bike will compensate a bit, but looks a little uncool on a mtb.

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Just sing to yourself.
  • Absolutely no way, ever.
  • cooldad
    Briggo wrote:
    Just sing to yourself.
    Absolutely no way, ever.
    You've obviously heard me sing
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    I try it periodically and go back to no music quite fast (as in 20 mins after starting). On the road, not having your full hearing is downright dangerous at times and offroad I quite like the sound of the trails.
  • i usually use heavy music on downs and chilled on ups

although to be fair if i had pro 2s id just listen to them
    worst moment ever...
    buzzing down twisting single track then.... psssst BANG!!!
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    I like the sound of wind, and hubs spinning, and lorries, buses and cars. No tuneage for me. On the exercise bike a home (can't afford a turbo, was given this) something heavy for the meat of the 'ride' and something a little more soft for cool down.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • I have my ipod on very low that i can still her traffic and hold a conversation if needed its a bit of background noise instead of my breathing :wink: However i did work with a guy once who listened to his music full blast and broke his arm twice in a year he once he got cut up by a lorry and clipped a kerb another time so is the music to blame or bad cycling :lol:
  • Also I think I would get a bit annoyed it I was at a trail centre and wanted to pass someone and they couldn't hear me ask them. Be impressed if the earphones would stay in tbh.
    Yeah that would be the thing I would be most worried about I think, which is why I think I might just use one earphone at trail centres etc. While I do love the music, I'm not a big fan of pissing people off with it.

However, when I'm out somewhere on my own I always wear them. I know its more dangerous, and I know people will criticise for it. I do compensate by looking over my shoulder more, and I'f I'm in a particularly busy area, again I will take one out so I can hear some of what is going on. But I love the music being on, and I ride faster with it on too. Going quickly down a mountain to something like Highway from Hell will be amazing.

I am a little surprised there are no official rules though at a trail centre or something.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Why are so many people quoting 'traffic' as being relevant to music when mountain biking... what mountains do you lot ride??

IMO, no music. I like to be fully immersed in the trail to help the world wash away. It's the only place I can have a totally empty head and that peace is invaluable.
  • felix.london
    yep - indeed, just the sounds of my tyres on the trail, the wind in the trees, birds tweeting and the occasional "oh f@#k!" as I take a corner too fast...

Trek Session 8
  • phal44
    phal44 Posts: 240
    I personally prefer having music or an audio book on if I'm doing my usul routes near the house, It helps me get up the hills and gives me a reason to stay out a bit longer.

I'm not sure how being able to hear helps in traffic other than with blind corners? It's not as if people will hear an engine behind them and instinctively know to dive out the way because the engine sounds like it's in a car driven by a crazy drunk. At the end of the day unless we see the hazard then we are large at it's mercy. We can all hear noises behind us but we have to trust that the engine we can hear belongs to a car that will manage to drive past us without killing us.

If you happen to prefer silence then good for you but failing that I don't see any real danger in riding with music on.

If you happen to be holding people up at a trail centre and you can't hear them then you should probably have an ear free though :P
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I like many do not use music. And that includes on the roads, for me at least I feel more aware what is going on around me. As for cars behind you, you can judge how far behind you they are ie if riding up your backside.
  • grandad3
    grandad3 Posts: 322
    ONLY when training on the rollers :D Loud rock works best :D
    'Collapse the Light into Earth'
  • scarbs85
    scarbs85 Posts: 170
    Just like the OP, I listen to music when I'm skiing. It affects moods and the right music helps me ski more aggressively and hit things harder than I might otherwise. I've never found it to affect my concentration, in fact I find it rather helps.

However, not on my bike! It doesn't help me, I don't like not be able to hear cars on road sections, riders coming up behind, or any squeals or rattles that might start coming from the bike.
  • felix.london
    Where I ride (the bike) I'm always by myself so I want to 'hear' the mountains but it wouldn't make a difference if I was plugged-in - that's one of the reasons we moved out here but when I was learning to snowboard I would rely on people (more advanced skiers & snowboarders) hearing me behind them and reacting accordingly

If you're riding in the road, trail centres, ski resorts, bike or skate parks, ice rinks, wherever there's other people - it is dangerous for EVERYONE not to hear what's going on behind you

Trek Session 8
  • skaffen
    skaffen Posts: 72
    I tend to listen to podcasts when out and about, takes the mind off the climbs. I've got some "open" earphones (BOSE MIE2i) which sound great but don't block out external noise very much so I don't feel like I'm losing much in terms of awareness. The main problem is I tend to listen to things like The Bugle or The Infinte Monkey Cage, so there's probably a few people who have been mildly disturbed by a lone cyclist giggling away to himself on top of the moors...
  • cooldad
    scarbs85 wrote:
    However, not on my bike! It doesn't help me, I don't like not be able to hear cars on road sections, riders coming up behind, or any squeals or rattles that might start coming from the bike.
    That's the reason I listen in my car - so I don't hear the squeaks and rattles.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • d00m
    d00m Posts: 160
    I worry too much about smashing my ipod in a crash...
  • When I was younger I used to commute on the bike to college/work with music on but soon gave that up after getting cought out by a dog running out from the undergrowth which I didn't hear due to my music.
    Fortunatly even though I did hit the dog he was fine, we were both shocked and the owner was fuming with me (rightly so).

I've never listened to music whilst cycling again and love the fact that I know I'm more aware of my surroundings and know I'm a safer rider for myself and people/animals around me.
  • For me I don't listen to Music, mainly because I like to hear what is around me and the fact if I have to commute I have to cycle on roads, if I am out on say a country trial I like to be blown away with the scenary and the peace and quiet and the views.

David