Brakes and pedals

2»

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Bit more relevent up here..... teacher showing kids that two negatives make a positive, but two positives can never make a negative.... one wee chap pipes up " Aye.... Right..."
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Greg66 wrote:
    I have opined on this in the past. It is because we are commuters. Necessarily, we have jobs. That is indicative of modest educational standards.

But furthermore, we have access to computers during the day. So we are white collar workers. That is indicative of higher educational standards.

And yet further, we are able to post on BR during our working day. That means either (a) we are so senior in our jobs that no one looks over our shoulders, or (b) we are brimmed full of cunning and guile, and able to evade the internet use detectives at our workplace. Thus, we are really Very Very Clever.

Unlike those thickets over at Cake Stop. None of them have jobs. If they did, they'd be here. They're all Deltas and Epsilons, who can't spell for toffee. They steal computers and ask strangers to type in their messages for them. No one would ever employ them.

Obvious, innit?

home.jpg
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I hate you lot sometimes...
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    I hate you lot sometimes...

oh come on, you know you can feel the love in the room
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • kelsen wrote:
    I'm a dyslexic agnostic - I lie awake at night wondering if there is a dog.

You forgot 'insomniac' for the full joke

You might be right. I'll try and sleep on it....

You mean "I'll try to sleep on it."

Not "try and" anything!

[/pedantry]
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    It is embarrassing when Johnny Foreigner often speaks English with better grammar than our own people.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Has anyone mentioned the wilful abuse of passed and past yet?

passed:
    adj
    1.having completed the act of passing.
    2.having received a passing grade on an examination or test or successfully completed a school course, year, or program of study.
    3.Finance . noting a dividend not paid at the usual dividend date.

past:
    adj
    1. completed, finished, and no longer in existence: past happiness
    2. denoting or belonging to all or a segment of the time that has elapsed at the present moment: the past history of the world
    3. denoting a specific unit of time that immediately precedes the present one: the past month
    4. ( prenominal ) denoting a person who has held and relinquished an office or position; former: a past president
    5. grammar aorist imperfect Compare perfect denoting any of various tenses of verbs that are used in describing actions, events, or states that have been begun or completed at the time of utterance

— n
    6. the past the period of time or a segment of it that has elapsed: forget the past
    7. the history, experience, or background of a nation, person, etc: a soldier with a distinguished past
    8. an earlier period of someone's life, esp one that contains events kept secret or regarded as disreputable
    9. grammar
    a. a past tense
    b. a verb in a past tense

— adv
    10. at a specified or unspecified time before the present; ago: three years past
    11. on or onwards: I greeted him but he just walked past

— prep
    12. beyond in time: it's past midnight
    13. beyond in place or position: the library is past the church
    14. moving beyond; in a direction that passes: he walked past me
    15. beyond or above the reach, limit, or scope of: his foolishness is past comprehension
    16. beyond or above in number or amount: to count past ten
    17. informal past it unable to perform the tasks one could do when one was younger
    18. not put it past someone to consider someone capable of (the action specified)

usage: The past participle of pass is sometimes wrongly spelt past: the time for recriminations has passed (not past )
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    Wot bout txt tlk?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,377
    kelsen wrote:
    Feel free to replace 'mountain biking' with any other appropriate pursuit.

Devil Worshiping
    Self Mutilation
    Bestiality

<ahem>
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    rjsterry wrote:
    kelsen wrote:
    Feel free to replace 'mountain biking' with any other appropriate pursuit.

Devil Worshiping
    Self Mutilation
    Bestiality

<ahem>
    Ah, good point!

Wallace, it's 'Worshipping', not 'Worshiping'
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    hydrolic, arghhhhhh it's hydraulic you fekkers
  • Can I add my 'less' and 'fewer' rant in here? Ten items or fewer at the checkout please but less tonic in my gin.
  • CrackFox
    CrackFox Posts: 287
    It's and its.

'It's raining' - correct.
    'It's been raining' - correct.
    'The dog has its bone' - correct.
    'The dog has it's bone' - incorrect.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Joelsim wrote:
    It is one of the most literate fora I've ever been on. Very middle class.

Sorry about the degrees on absolutes.

FTFY.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    This should go down quiet well on this thread.

Yes, that 'quiet' thing was deliberate.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    DesWeller wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    It is one of the most literate fora I've ever been on. Very middle class.

Sorry about the degrees on absolutes.

FTFY.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/forum
  • Kieran_Burns
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    This should go down quiet well on this thread.

Yes, that 'quiet' thing was deliberate.

Did you mean to misspell deliberate as well?

made you look
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Can I add my 'less' and 'fewer' rant in here? Ten items or fewer at the checkout please but less tonic in my gin.

Surely it isn’t less tonic in my gin? It should be more gin in my tonic :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,680
    Greg66 wrote:
    I have opined on this in the past. It is because we are commuters. Necessarily, we have jobs. That is indicative of modest educational standards.

But furthermore, we have access to computers during the day. So we are white collar workers. That is indicative of higher educational standards.

And yet further, we are able to post on BR during our working day. That means either (a) we are so senior in our jobs that no one looks over our shoulders, or (b) we are brimmed full of cunning and guile, and able to evade the internet use detectives at our workplace. Thus, we are really Very Very Clever.

What? You have to post your own comments? I thought that's what dictaphones and a secretarial pool are for?
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • There, their, they're.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    And now - celebrety's.

Plurals are formed by adding an s, and sometimes by changing y to ie + s. Whatever. Never is a plural created with an apostrophe prior to the s.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    CiB wrote:
    And now - celebrety's.

Plurals are formed by adding an s, and sometimes by changing y to ie + s. Whatever. Never is a plural created with an apostrophe prior to the s.

"Celebrity's" (sic).
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Greg66 wrote:

What? You have to post your own comments? I thought that's what dictaphones and a secretarial pool are for?

Dictated, but not read.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    By coincidence, this has risen to the Most Viewed in today's paper - a link to various sections of The Telegraph style guide (or is that Style Guide?).

For those with too much time on their hands, and an unhealthy interest is such matters.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/about-us/style-book/