Cateye Computer On Mavic Crossride Disc Wheels - Magnets?

EViS
EViS Posts: 48
edited October 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I was going to transfer my Cateye from my old Rockhopper to my new Cube LTD Race. The wheels on the Cube are Mavic Crossride Disc and the round magnet which attaches to the spokes gets attracted to the spokes which must mean they are steel?

Will this interfere with how the computer calculates distance/speed at all?

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    No, the computer/sensor works on when the magnet goes past, which will still be once per revolution. The fact the magnet is also attracted to the spokes means nothing.

I'm would have thought your old wheel will have had steel spokes too.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • EViS
    The magnet wasn't attracted to the old spokes, so I would guess they weren't steel?

Also, the new spokes are quite flat so the magnet turns to sit at an angle (some 20 degrees) to the sensor once gripped. Would this cause a problem?
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    You can get magnets that have a slot for flat spokes I have one on my Crossride front wheel. Got it from Halfords I think but it was a few years back.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • EViS
    I shall try and find one, thanks for the heads up.
  • bails87
    EViS wrote:
    Also, the new spokes are quite flat so the magnet turns to sit at an angle (some 20 degrees) to the sensor once gripped. Would this cause a problem?
    No. The spokes on my road bike are the same.

Have you actually fitted it? Does it pick up the movement when it starts spinning?
    MTB/CX

• EViS
    I haven't fitted it as I have run out of 2.5mm cable ties and have ordered some.
  • bails87
    Ah right. As I said, it should be fine.
    MTB/CX

• EViS
    Great, will report back once done. If anyone does find a source for flat-spoked magnets, do please let me know :).