700x35 tyres for winter

steviedonut
steviedonut Posts: 69
edited October 2011 in Commuting general
ive a 15 yo trek hybrid which takes 700x35 tyres
winters just around the corner and,as i live in the north of scotland,it can get a bit hairy up here.i commute to work daily on roads,which will have all levels of snow,ice etc and im looking to get some knobbly tyres for it though i think studded tyres would be a bit ott.im on a budget and cant afford the ridiculously expensive stuff,so beloved of the cycling media(i suppose anythings cheap if its a freebie to review!)
any thoughts?

Comments

• MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Studded tyres are not OTT for icy conditions. I made some out of cheap knobblies and 3/8 panhead self tapping screws with a bit of dremelling. They wont last as long as the real Marathon Winter but long enough.
    The donor tyre needs knobbles wide and thick enough to accept a screw. You need fewer bigger, widely spaced knobs.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    As a fellow North of Scotland commuter, I rely on studded tyres. I'm using Maraton Winters this year. I don't think plain knobbly tyres will help much with ice unless the surface is already rough. As to the cost, whilst they aren't cheap, I fell off a couple of years back on ice running road tyres - tore holes in my waterproof jacket, my glove, my baselayer and myself (I still have the scar). The investment in winter tyres seems to make sense.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Studded tyres aren't ott or that much more than regular ones, if you buy carefully. 2 Marathon Winters from Wiggle with the £5 discount for joining their mailing list cost me £57; I'd paid £50 at my LBS for a pair of regular knobblies at the start of the year.
    It's only pricey if you buy another wheel set for swapping; I plan on just changing tyres on first sign of ice and keeping on until Spring- just vary the pressure according to conditions.
  • Clas Ohlon do some stud tyres for abt £17 each (I paid £30 each last December so they may be going up again as it gets colder). deep groved tread too for slushy stff when the studs are ott.

they dont have the quality look of the Marathons but served me fine last winter and I'll be using the same ones again this time round.

they don't appear on their website but are in the catalogue so could come by mail order assuming you don't have a branch near you.

The marathons sell out pretty quickly come autumn and don't tend to be in stock much over the winter on wiggle an the like.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I was thinking about these

"Continental Top Contact Winter II Reflex"

14l7jn8.jpg