Lights, lights and, again, lights...

bikeboon
bikeboon Posts: 81
edited October 2011 in Commuting general
Hi all,

Am sure this has been discussed before, but could not find a thread...

What are, in your opinion, good city commuting lights (and how many do you have)?

I have rather bright, but older cateye, and, when i put my driver hat on, I notice that just flashing lights do not draw enough attention to cyclists. The red ones that that flash 3 times/pause I think are more effective, and same applies to the front ones that are always on with a bright flash every second or so.

Appreciate any thoughts...

Thanks!

Comments

• Do you mean front or rear?

It probably depends on budget but having become bored with drivers just pulling out despite my bright clothing, I decided to invest in multiple lights. I now have a powerful main light in the form of an Exposure Strada (£240) which is road-specific and has a switch to dim, a Topeak Headlux helmet mounted light which is front and rear (£15), a Trek Ember helmet mounted rear (£10) and a Smart Mini Led (£5) on the front. I also have a Cateye LD1100 (£27) which is excellent.

That, however, is a lot of light and a lot of money. If you just want a set for mostly daytime running and extra vis then perhaps the Exposure Flash/Flare set (sub £80)?
  • Scrappaman wrote:
    Do you mean front or rear?

Both! And yes, sub-£80 :)

No separate battery packs please...
  • If it's to be seen by then the Exposure Flash/Flare are a decent set - very bright, small, and attention grabbing flashing modes. If you need to see by them then they will be less useful.
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    bikeboon wrote:
    Scrappaman wrote:
    Do you mean front or rear?

No separate battery packs please...

Why? the magicshine mj 808 front light is a top bit of kit and this for the back http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=64506
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Two Cateye LD600 or LD610 at the rear, one flashing and one not, and a LED Lenser P7 attached to the handlebars. The P7 is at its wide setting in town and more of a spot setting where the streetlights stop. Total about £60
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    Scrappaman wrote:
    If you just want a set for mostly daytime running and extra vis then perhaps the Exposure Flash/Flare set (sub £80)?

I just bought this set for this exact reason. Currently available for £76.50 at Wiggle (could get it down to £71.50 with a £5 voucher for signing up to their newsletter).
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I have to say that last night I drove across London between 7pm and 9pm and the standard of lighting on cyclists was shocking. Some didn't have any at all, some had pathetic ones, and the odd one or two had decent ones.

It makes a hell of a difference to being seen IMO.

Consequently I'm going to buy myself a helmet flasher, nothing wrong with resembling Canary Wharf. It will also have the added benefit of stopping light aircraft from flying into me at the top of steep hills like Balham Hill.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Joelsim wrote:
    Iat the top of steep hills like Balham Hill.

Don't be silly, no one can tell which end of it is the top :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Scrappaman wrote:
    If it's to be seen by then the Exposure Flash/Flare are a decent set - very bright, small, and attention grabbing flashing modes. If you need to see by them then they will be less useful.

This, by a country mile.

Had mine for a week and I'e had two other cyclists as me what they are and how much I paid. Never had that with any other lights before.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    ...and wear reflective clothing. Miles better than the vast majority of rear lights for being seen by drivers (not a substitute but an addition)
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Phil_D wrote:
    ...and wear reflective clothing. Miles better than the vast majority of rear lights for being seen by drivers (not a substitute but an addition)

Don't do what a lot of people do though, put on a hi viz/reflective vest and then put a black backpack over the top of it! :roll:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • seataltea
    seataltea Posts: 594
    This has to be a sensible buy at £32 delivered.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/t6-waterpr ... r=90000227

High/low/strobe inc 4 18650 battery pack and charger. Well reviewed, it won't be 1200 lumens but it'll be better than anything else you could buy for the money.
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • seataltea
    seataltea Posts: 594
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • mrtuk
    mrtuk Posts: 75
    bikeboon wrote:
    What are, in your opinion, good city commuting lights

Green lights are best - means you don't have to stop :lol:
  • Joelsim wrote:
    I have to say that last night I drove across London between 7pm and 9pm and the standard of lighting on cyclists was shocking. Some didn't have any at all, some had pathetic ones, and the odd one or two had decent ones.

The trouble is, when you're cycling, a lot of these lights seem bright enough..

When you're in the car, you can barely see them amongst all the other stuff that's going on.

You get a completely different perspective from cycling. I think it's fair to say that any sensible adult that rides on the road in the dark without lights, is an idiot. But when you're in that position, purely going from the perspective and awareness you have of your own surroundings, you genuinely don't realise quite how much of an idiot you're being.
  • Asprilla wrote:
    Scrappaman wrote:
    If it's to be seen by then the Exposure Flash/Flare are a decent set - very bright, small, and attention grabbing flashing modes. If you need to see by them then they will be less useful.

This, by a country mile.

Had mine for a week and I'e had two other cyclists as me what they are and how much I paid. Never had that with any other lights before.

Ok, Christmas came early for me - in a sense that I now look like a flashing Christmas tree with many lights :)
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    seataltea wrote:

I saw this last night! Family and I in car coming back through Islington. Light was on right chain stay, flashing and sending out acontinuous laser line to the rear and right of the bike. Looked great though sometimes almost lost in the headlights. Not as bright as the video suggests but may be a different make or model.