one piece triple chainrings?

robst3
robst3 Posts: 145
edited October 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I need to get some new chainrings for my old GT (circa 2001). The cranks only have holes for the inner chainring (4 x pcd 6cm ish) and the middle and outer rings are attached to the inner one (welded?). Have been scouring the internet but have come up with nothing.

Is it possible to buy a one piece triple chainring anymore? or do I need to invest in some new cranks with the additional set of holes for the middle ring?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    new cranks will be needed.

pics just in-case to check. but generally not a replaceable item.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • robst3
    Balls! better be sure that it needs new chainrings then... Will get a pic when camera charged.

What's the deal with this style of chainset then? Why is there nothing on the internet about it?
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    Sounds like a cheap spot welded/riveted chainset nothing much you can do with them

Usually they have a plastic cover where the outer chain ring bolts should be

like this...
    shimano-m191-chainset-with-chainguard.jpg

as opposed to this

shimano-m411-alivio-square-taper-chainset.jpg
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • robst3
    Here's what I've got:

2011-10-05102244.jpg

2011-10-05102207.jpg

Chain jumps when i'm cranking hard on middle or inner chain ring, but NOT when its on the outer chain ring. Does this mean the chain rings are worn?

Thanks
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Old one piece parts, you may not even be able to remove thos things that look like allen bolts, you either need a new single piece assembly (about £18 on ebay) or upgrade to something bolt together.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • robst3
    edited October 2011
    Yeah it can be removed, I undid the 4 Allen bolts before. Can't undo the crank bolt though on the chain ring side - will it be clockwise or counter to undo? I know pedal bolts are odd to undo.. The non chain ring side was easy to undo and was anti clock
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Crank bolts are all anti-clockwise to undo. Its still a new assmebly I'm afraid.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • robst3
    Ah well, will use it as an excuse to single speed :-)