Hybrid Bike differences?

crashnburn4eva81
crashnburn4eva81 Posts: 3
edited October 2011 in Commuting general
Stuck between two bike choices the Cannondale Quick SL 1 2012 for 1400 dollars or the Trek 7.7 Fx 2012 for 2000 dollars. WHich bike is the better deal overall? Does one have better components than the other? Not sure which one to buy for recreation/fitness purposes. The trek is more money and i'd like to know what they put into this bike that is worth it to shell out the extra 600 dollars for it over the Cannondale Quick SL 1. Both I believe have carbon forks but the Trek also have Carbon seatpost??? Or would I be better off with an entry level road bike by one of these companies? Also, our the trek and cannondale hybrid bikes pretty fast?

Thanks
Joe.

Comments

• Initially I was going to buy the specialized sirrus limited or Cannondale quick carbon 1 or 2 but the guy at the LBS thought i was nuts wanting to buy a hybrid carbon fiber frame bike. I also didn't know that these bikes come with carbon cranks as well which is stupid the guy said because they will break faster than an aluminum crank. So what'ss the deal? Our specialized and cannondale just marketing a bike like this just to take your money? I've never seen a carbon fiber crank on a bike before.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    It is a bit nuts to spend that much on a commuting bike.

Don't worry about carbon though, it's good stuff.
  • Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    A carbon crank will last fine. It wouldn't fare so well in an impact as aluminium, but it shouldn't break for no good reason either. If oyu're looking at spending that much on a commuter you must have one hell of a "best" bike.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Why aren't you looking at road bikes, out of interest?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."