Edinburgh to Newcastle challenge

the_spooks
the_spooks Posts: 190
edited October 2011 in Tour & expedition
thinking about a challenge for myself next year, appreciate this ain't far for most of ya but at around 120 miles this will test me to breaking. Furthest I have been on a road bike has been 40 miles, furthest travelled on any bike was 80+ miles during C2C this year.
Pretty sure some folks on here have done this so will have a map or could give me some tips on routes.
Thanks in advance
Scott

Comments

• mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Get the train instead.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • Spooks,

if you do the castles and coast route from edinburgh to tynemouth its about 200 miles. I'm planning to do it next year but tynemouth to edinburgh.

Sustrans have a brilliant set of maps that will cover the whole route for about 7 quid. I've cycled most of the lower half of it and a few friends have done the full wack if you need any more info, just PM me.
  • Mouth wrote:
    Get the train instead.

That'll be why you've got 5 stone to lose. :)
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    edited October 2011
    thecrofter wrote:
    Mouth wrote:
    Get the train instead.

That'll be why you've got 5 stone to lose. :)

Haha. Yeh that'd be right. Was waiting for something like that.

Surely there's some kind of coastal-ish route which might be worth a look.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • High-tower thanks will grab a few of the sustrans maps and plan but expect a few PM's from me at one or two points. Never thought it would be 200 miles so may need to adjust my plans somewhat
    Mouth, I must confess I sometimes wish I had taken a train as this cycling lark is hard work....worth it though
    Thecrofter, now that's a class comeback, wish I had thought o it first
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    edited October 2011
    I don't know the SUSTRANS route but the most direct way would be the A68 out of Edinburgh then the A697 through Coldstream, you would then take some of the lesser A roads from Morpeth in to Newcastle, the A1 being a non-starter for cycling. It's pretty direct you could do it an a day and get the train back but can be quite busy with pretty fast moving traffic. If you want a trip to enjoy then the SUSTRANS route would probably be better.
  • Here's a diagram of the coast and castle route, I'm not familiar with all the roads but it looks like it would be a bit quieter than the direct route. Although the A7 down to Gala and Kelso can be quite fast moving

fullroutenewest.gif
  • Top info, will be looking into all routes when I'm back home.
  • hello matey,just to let you know that i have just done this route about 3 weeks ago albiet from newcastle to edinburgh,fantastic route,loved it, took 2 and A HALF days and i camped on both nights and got the train back from edinburgh,as the tale end of the hurricane was upon me,you can read my post on this site about my trip,but if you want any specific info just let me know.
    He travels fastest who travels alone
  • I also did the Newcastle - Edinburgh route two weeks ago. The sustrans route takes in some off road sections that are more suited to a cyclocross or robust touring bike than a road bike, and some of the single lane roads are in poor condition. The scenery is great and its an enjoyable ride - going from Edinburgh south you could be in to a headwind the whole way - hard work! Good luck, and take in the detour to Holy Island across the causeway north of Bamburgh (watching out for the tides of course!).
  • Cheers for the further info guys, as much as I would like to do the scenic route I think the more direct route will be what I'm looking at and attempt it in one day, will be bad enough asking the wife to be my support for one day never mind 2 lol
    Once I have this planned will update as I go