Left hooked

shouldbeinbed
shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
Just past BAE in Chadderton for those that know the area. Never had a chance to brake, the driver behind who stopped to pick me up told me the guy who hit me sped up to try to beat me to the corner. I got big air and came down on my back (helmet took a hell of a thump - I draw no conclusion from that). My first thought was that I'd just got my gears indexing spot on. Not any more!

I'm going to hurt tomorrow,

Comments

• Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Sounds painful, hope you don't feel it too much in the morning. Did the driver do a runner or did he stay and face the music?
    FCN 2 to 8
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Ouch. Hope you're OK.

Did the driver not stop? Sounds like you've got a good witness. Always helps in cases like these.

Heal fast.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Bad luck mate, but glad to read you are in one piece. Hope the driver gets what they're due.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    + 1 to the above. Unfortunately you'll get more sore before you get better. When I got knocked off it took 3 days for me to realise that I'd hurt my shoulder as well as my leg. Hope you got the other drivers details as well as the witnesses.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Thanks, I'm in radox and codeine heaven ar the mo, decided I've not broken anything so just jarring & bruises to comfrey and arnica into submission.

No such luck with the driver, off like a rat up a drainpipe, the driver that stopped offered to chase him down but he was well away by then & one accident was enough. Could have been worse tho so its another one for experience.

Booked a day off tomorrow to ache and check the bike over properly, the rear mech should be ok but I'm not sure the front it too good, suddenly very stiff & clunky.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    If your helmet's taken a thump, worth a trip to the hospital for a check-up?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Shocking driving and even more shocking that they drove off without checking that you were OK. A plague upon them.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Bad news, although glad you are able to recount your tale.

Drivers like that should be hunted down and exterminated from the roads. Lifetime ban should be mandatory.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    You should be inbed :lol:

Presume you've notified the Police - evidence on here that the Police can deliver a good result.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • +1 to all of the above. Speedy and healthy recovery
  • get back to bed matey and get better, no doubt lots of forum posts while laid up ;)
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    The car will have minor damage and if the witness knows the model and part of the reg number it will be possible for the police to search for it.

It's also possible the driver (if on the way to a work place) will use the same route again. So set up a deck chair at the junction and see if it goes past? that is if you know what the car looks like.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    The Police will have access to any CCTV in the area.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Sorry to hear that I hope the aches and pains are not too bad. agree with others that you should talk to the police. I think they take hit and run quite seriously.
    Good luck and hope you mend soon.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    +1 on reporting it to the police,

Also if there is damage to you and / or the bike you might still be able to claim of MIB even though driver didn't stop.

http://www.mib.org.uk/Customer+Services ... r+FAQs.htm
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Sketchley wrote:
    +1 on reporting it to the police,

Also if there is damage to you and / or the bike you might still be able to claim of MIB even though driver didn't stop.

http://www.mib.org.uk/Customer+Services ... r+FAQs.htm

That's interesting :? read. Hopefully I never have to make use of it but it's good to know that there maybe help if needed
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Glad your ok.

You must report this to Police. This person has for all they know left you for dead. Should they really be on the road?

Hopefully you took the witness's details?
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Nasty. What a total sh1t that driver is - too much of this going on. Last one that did a hit and run on me left me with a broken hand and a bent bike.
  • Thanks all and with hindsight my bad on the witness. The car was a dark saloon s/he hit me effectively from behind and sent me spinning, by the time the other guy had got round me, stopped and got out, they were away - he didn't have any details and I didn't fancy his offer of tearing through a housing estate hunting them down for me for fear of another accident - I was a bit shocked and just wanted to get out of the road to check me and bike over, he was more fired up about it than I was and I was calming him down & thanking him for being a decent bloke and stopping, I never thought to swap details with him.

First crash with another vehicle for a good few years, all of the advice on here just went out of the window with the surprise of it happening.

I will take it up with the Police (work for them so hopefully can be a bit more of a direct PITA) and it was on a junction by a filling station so will drop by tomorrow and ask if their CCTV covers the road too for drive offs. I called the Mrs straight after to let her know I'd be late home, so I can be specific to 5 minutes or so on the timing of the crash.

not feeling so bad now after a muscle soak and painkillers but walking the dogs this morning was an interesting range of ouch. the bike is ridable and not too bashed about all told so I got off pretty lightly I think, but I do hope they have a hefty respray bill.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    shouldbeinbed
    All good to hear. hope you're healed up soon and the bike is ok.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."