Brakes

2»

Comments

• jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    I'd just try changing the pads first. Swiss Stop ? Kool-Stop ?
    I expect the brakes are fine.

Something like http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/10 ... -pads.html

- Slightly weird offer means you'd want another pair of holders from somewhere, unless you want the spare pads anyway.

Not really an expert on caliper brakes, but the Tektro R540 short caliper brakes work for us. With V-brakes, most of the difference seems to be in the pads - even plastic V-brake levers work OK with decent pads. Don't think Tektro are known for great pads.

Started using Kool-Stop Salmon & Black/salmon because Shimano, Tektro & Clarks pads picked up swarf. But it turns out the Kool-stop pads wear much more slowly.
  • DesWeller wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    Two questions:
    1. Where to get copper slip? I work in the City, so no car repair shops to pop out to at lunchtime...

You can use any grease. The copper in copaslip is only there so something hangs around if the grease gets hot enough to run away.

Not so. I don't think chainring bolts get hot enough for the grease to 'run away' but its what people are advised to use to stop the different parts binding. Same with pedal threads, seat posts etc.

Normal grease works, but Copper Slips works for longer and for things that are not removed often, it is the grease of choice.

It wasn't developed for bicycle applications you know! Bike mechanics advise it's use because they don't know any better, by and large. I wouldn't trust the advice of most bicycle mechanics further than I could throw them.

PS If you want a really super-duper high temp/high pressure anti seize compound you can get Alumslip, which really is the business. Totally superfluous for bicycles mind.

Copper slip is good for screws that you want to remove, better than normal grease as the copper remains when the grease dries up. The reason the bike mechanics use it is because titanium welds itself to steel if you don't use it.

You can usually get copper grease from the type of garage that sells car light-bulbs.