Hope Pro II hubs & RS Maxle issue

jon_higgins85
jon_higgins85 Posts: 53
edited October 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I have a RockShox Pike with 20mm QR Maxle, and Hope pro II hubs. My problem is that the maxle is impossible to get out of the hub without a hammer & shaft to knock it through (after unscrewing from the fork arm). So far I have been lucky to never have a flat on my front, but if I did there is no way I could get the wheel off easily to fix it.

I have tried lubing it with grease & oil but it still gets stuck. Do other people have this issue too? I read that a lot of people have the opposite problem and have too much play with a 20mm maxle/hope pro II hub combo.

On the rear hub I would really like to make the hub quieter and when i'm coasting round the city in the evening it is quite annoying for everyone. I have read that the best way is to use a synthetic grease on the pawls/teeth. Is this easy to do at home, and what brand or viscocity grease is best?

Thanks a lot for any advice

Jon

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Definately shouldn't happen... Does the axle fit smoothly through the hub when not in the fork?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    ive used Finish Line Teflon grease on a Fulcrum hub before. It was virtually silent afterwards. Pretty easy to do if you have a cassette removal tool.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Don't actually need to remove the cassette... but it does make it easier. Wouldn't advise it though as you can get missed pickups.

On the front, check the qr lever on the maxle is not too tight. Sometimes they tighten up and need to be backed off to stop it binding.
  • OK, update:

I just tapped out the maxle again, and this time a peice dropped out of the end of it! A small black conical shaped peice with a hole for the skewer to go through, (similar to the end cap that screws on the opposite side of the QR lever)

I think this must have been jammed in the end and was keeping the maxle in a slightly 'locked' state permanantly by giving it a slightly larger diameter at one end (where the maxle has a split).

I have put the maxle back through now and it slides through the hub much easier. It is also improved locking as before I had to use a big spanner for leverage and make it really tight to eliminate a bit of play it had. Now this is fixed too, no play at all at a normal torque.

Will anything be compromised by me taking out this small black part?
  • DCR00 wrote:
    ive used Finish Line Teflon grease on a Fulcrum hub before. It was virtually silent afterwards. Pretty easy to do if you have a cassette removal tool.

Ok thanks, I have exactly the same grease I was using for my BB so I will use this too. I have the cassette removal tool so i'll give it a go. :)