Smart R1 or R2 rear light?

avoidingmyphd
avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
edited October 2011 in Commuting general
How do I choose between the Smart R1 and R2 rear lights?

R11 (1x1W LED + 2 smaller LEDs) is cheaper than R2, with (2x0.5W LEDs).

Is the R2 better? Or are the prices tricking me? I'd have thought the R1 would win!

Comments

• Avezius
    Avezius Posts: 132
    I went for R1, because:

The 1watt light can flash while the two smaller LEDs can be always lit, plus the 1watt led is brighter than either of the 0.5watt bulbs in the R2.

A few other comments here: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12804462

I think the R2 looks cooler tho.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Bought the R2 and was very impressed with how bright it is but it's so susceptible to getting water in where the batteries are and turning off - after a few rainy evenings of getting home and finding that it had turned itself off I just stopped using it, not worth the gamble.

I've been using a smart 1/2W Super Flash for 2 years and it's worked perfectly through a couple of harsh winters. Easily worth £8.75 from PX... http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/LIS ... rear-light
    FCN 2 to 8
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    R2 for me , i find it more waterproof than the r1 and i am hoping it is better in the winter as the r1 used to stop working every time it got around freezing .

I run my r2 in combination with a standard smart flasher on each pannier bag.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    if you have to ride in anything more than drizzle then neither!!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Chris Bass wrote:

I've used several smart lights on my road bike in the wet, and in copious amounts of mud on the mtb and they've all been fine. A bit of vaseline/grease on the seal seems to do the trick.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    bails87 wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

I've used several smart lights on my road bike in the wet, and in copious amounts of mud on the mtb and they've all been fine. A bit of vaseline/grease on the seal seems to do the trick.

That's true for me as well, apart from the R2. Whatever I tried with that light I couldn't get it to be reliable in all weather conditions.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    My r2 was still going strong after i got completely drenched the other night, nowt wrong with them.
    FCN 3/5/9