Do all Shimano shifters 'pull' the same amount?

Scoodle
Scoodle Posts: 11
edited October 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello.

First post!!

What I'd like to know, please, is whether Shimano twist-grip Revoshifters have the same cable movement increments as trigger-shifters such as the Shimano's GS200?

I've just picked up a 24" wheel, ali-framed Raleigh for my son. It's in excellent condition, but needs attention to the rear Revoshift selector. Replacements for these are dead cheap so that's not a problem, but was wondering if instead they could be swapped for trigger-action shifters as on my ancient Raleigh Yukon (which I love...!).

My Yukon has Shimano GS200 trigger-shifters with two thumb levers stacked one above the other - one push for up and one for down. I find them superb to use, and think my son would love them too. A quick look on eBay shows me that there are lots of newer equivalents out there, with good second hand ones available for the same price as new Revos.

So, do the two types of operating system move the cables the same amounts? Also, does it make any difference whether a 6 or 7-speed shifter is fitted to a 6-sprocket jobbie? Yes, I know he won't be able to find that missing 7th gear, but will the remaining 6 still be in the correct places?! Finally, is there any trigger-system that works well - ie: as good as my old GS200, and are there any to avoid?! Bearing in mind, of course, that this is for low-medium range, casual use bikes...!

Many thanks.

Many thanks.

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    You need to match the shifter to the number of speeds on the cassette/freewheel.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Scoodle
    Thanks, Bails.

Ah... I was hoping that the sprockets were all the same width apart and that 'all' that would happen if a 7-speed trigger was fitted to a 6-speed cassette is that the dérailleur would try and move off the end to search for that 7th cog! And that I could prevent this by using the end-stop adjusters.

Are the actual spacings between individual sprockets on 6 and 7-sprocket sets different, then?

Cheers.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes, 5.3mm and 5mm I think.
    Older freewheels are different to that.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    to answer the first question, NO.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Scoodle
    Many thanks, gents!

6-speeder it'll be then!