Road Bike Newbie...Specialized Allez Elite or Trek 1.5?

littleprawn
littleprawn Posts: 135
edited October 2011 in Road beginners
Hi :) ,

This my first post. I am after some advice here....obviously bike related. What are your opinions between the Specialized Allez Elite 2011 and the Trek 1.5? I was quoted a competitive price of £750 for a 2011 for a Trek and a 2011 Specialized Allez Elite is retailing at £800. My budget is £1k for bike and essentials. Should I aim for something less or purchase a good second hand?

A retailer suggested the Allez based on the comfort and less vibrations over the Trek.

My history in biking is very brief, I had a Raleigh racer as a teen and now approaching 40, I have not had a bike since then.

What do I want the bike for? Mainly to potentially to train and enter triathlons and also for general fitness. Previously, I use to run for fitness purposes and now two ankle injuries later I am refocusing my efforts to having a varied fitness regime. At the moment I am swimming up to 1000m per session and slowly returning to running.

OR do Iconsider a tourer type bike for when I go cycling with the kids when I they are a little older? I live on the outskirts of London and aim to cycle at least twice a week.

Thanks for reading this... :D

Speak soon,

Little Prawn.
Cannondale CAADX 5 105
Trek T10

Comments

• Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Ask to test ride the bike and buy the one that fits you and that you are comfortable on. Ask if they will give you a 2 hour test ride if you can.

If you buy from an on-line retailer like Wiggle, they give you 7 days to ride the bike and see if you like it, so your LBS should give you at least 2 hours.

Also, Halfords have a 20% off offer at the moment so you could get a Boardman Team (normally 899.99).
  • ruary
    ruary Posts: 6
    Was in a similar position to you looking for my first bike and not being very sure
    After reading everythign I could online and having multiple test rides I settled on a Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagera yesterday, this bike wasn't even on my shortlist when I started visiting shops but after an hour in the saddle it easily felt the best fit for me, now my mate ended up with a Boardman Road Comp he was tempted by the Allez but the hanging brake cable under the top tube put him off.
    My advice is, and I'm very much a newbie, you have got LOADS of choice for £1000 try as many as you can then go with the one that feels best to ride now, no point buying something with the potential for a future use when you want it for something now.

as I side note I did a triathlon on a MTB (and wasn't the only one) so I wouldn't worry to much about what your riding for that, any road bike will be an improvement on what I had.
    Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain
  • Garyx
    Garyx Posts: 1
    ruary wrote:
    Was in a similar position to you looking for my first bike and not being very sure
    After reading everythign I could online and having multiple test rides I settled on a Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagera yesterday, this bike wasn't even on my shortlist when I started visiting shops but after an hour in the saddle it easily felt the best fit for me, now my mate ended up with a Boardman Road Comp he was tempted by the Allez but the hanging brake cable under the top tube put him off.
    My advice is, and I'm very much a newbie, you have got LOADS of choice for £1000 try as many as you can then go with the one that feels best to ride now, no point buying something with the potential for a future use when you want it for something now.

as I side note I did a triathlon on a MTB (and wasn't the only one) so I wouldn't worry to much about what your riding for that, any road bike will be an improvement on what I had.
    The Specialized Secteur Elite is a fantastic choice as the cable runs inside of the tube, retails at £999 for those looking at doing the cycle to work scheme
  • Garyx wrote:
    The Specialized Secteur Elite is a fantastic choice as the cable runs inside of the tube

Not sure this is a good thing - I'm distinctly unimpressed with the sticky shifting on my Roubaix with Ultegra - worse than 105 on an externally routed Allez.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    The Allez is a great bike, I have one and a Tarmac and they are very good, comfy rides. I am a Spesh fan to be fair, but you won't be dissapointed by the build and ride quality.
    Cheers
  • Oceanblue
    Oceanblue Posts: 158
    Bought a 1.5 last week & loving it - stick with the advice but try them out & buy the one that makes you smile!! :D
  • Thanks for the advice so far....

Guys at work advised about a hybrid so I tried a Trek at local Evans near work -enjoyed the height and flexibility but the hybrid lacked the ommph factor. I even cycled the streets of Chalk Farm/ Camden and my 'fear' of roads in London subsided...

I started doing more research so will trial on Friday 3 bikes:-

-Specialized Tricross 2011 Road Bike
    -Cannondale CAADX 5 105 2011 Cyclocross Bike
    -Specialized Allez Elite 2011 Road Bike
      I thought that I might compare the practical aspects of the tricross and cannondale as 'all rounders' compared to the traditional road bike. I will let you know how I get on. Any view points on these will be appreciated. Another question to ask is about servicing, my impression is the more money you invest the longer the components last....I am slowly getting my head round this and the advice i was given was that Cannondale's bottom bracket was 'unconventional' and if it would be costly to service...repair and replace....these things are never easy! Another trial of thought.....should I just try these and just wait after the winter and wait for spring/ summer or would the above bikes be okay in the colder months ahead of us? Thanks for all your time for reading!
    Cannondale CAADX 5 105
    Trek T10
  • Guiddy
    Guiddy Posts: 29
    I can help you with advice on the Allez Elite 2011, been running one since Feb this year.

Pros:Lovely frame! Smooth, stiff, light, accelerates like a dream!
    Tiagra is pretty good, shifting from the drops etc

Cons: Heavy wheels, budget in changing them asap!
    Poor brakes! Lack feel, weak stopping power!

It's stiff, can leave you tingling in the arms after a long ride! Cured by Carbon bars & Proper carbon seatpost, not the carbon wrap one that comes with it! The moment I upgraded the wheels though it was very, very good! I opted for Fulcrum racing 5 at £160 with Schwalbe Ultremo tyres.

Current spec is now:
    Full Ultegra 6700 groupset 53/39 Chainrings/11-28 cassette
    S Works SL Carbon bars
    Specialized Pave Carbon Seatpost
    Specialized Toupe 130 Ti Seat
    Fulcrum Racing 5 Wheels
    Schwalbe Ultremo ZX Tyres
    Total £1303!

I can truly say it is now an amazing bike!
  • I think the 2011 Specialized Tricross was subject to a recall - probably worth double-checking the situation with the shop when you go for the test ride.
  • gmacz
    gmacz Posts: 343
    look at the Giant range as well.
    Plenty in your budget.
  • 2nd the comment from gmacz, just got a very good deal on a Defy 4, my budget wouldn't stretch as far as yours & I am well happy with what I got for my money, left me more to spend on other bits of clothing etc as well.
    Try allterrain cycles good deal on Defy 4, 3 & 2 if you look at 2011 models.
  • So here are my views so far....

I tried the Allez Elite on Thursday and what a flyer! The frame sits low and the crispness of acceleration and gear changes were superb as well as the eagar brakes. The racing position was good and economical and my fear of being too 'low' and not being noticed by car drivers was soon put to rest. My body is not up to cycling and I failed the primrose steep hills. In essence, I liked the bike but colour, the brake wires not 'tucked in' within the handlebars were the negatives as well not able to accommodate traditional mudgards and my potential rides in woodland/ trial etc.

Today I tested the Tricross and the Cannondale and I was able to tackle the Primrose Park hills reasonably well and my body nears to be conditioned to cycling...or maybe my age is catching up with me!. Sitting back further down on the seat of teh Tricross and Cannondale took a fair while to acclimatise and the cantilever brakes were not as responsive as the Allez but the extra cushion and height I liked. Both bikes looked great and I liked the handlebars of the Cannondale (no break wires in the way) and preferred the better equipped Shimano 105. After much disucssion with the Evan's salesperson, the practicality of the Cannondale is on top of my preference list at the moment....

Now, what other items of equipmentdo I need to get me going if I elect to go with the Cannondale? I must add, a colleague at work gave me good advice (he has 6 bikes!) and he said make sure you buy a bike you like to look of because it is just as important that it performs as well as it looks....and the understated brushed aluminium frame finish of the Cannondale gets my vote.....
    Cannondale CAADX 5 105
    Trek T10