Sand all over my chain!

purplemonk3y
purplemonk3y Posts: 17
edited October 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
hi.

just got back from a weekend away, and the forest I was in has horrible sandy stuff everywhere, and I noticed quite a lot of it is all over my chain. any suggestions on the best thing to do? do I need to off it and bath it in some solution or will a fresh oiling sort her out?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Use a dry lube, or better a wax lube like Squirt in dry dusty weather. I use it all year round.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 1340jas
    1340jas Posts: 217
    Wash it all off with hot soapy water and a scrubbing brush. then re-lube with wet lube, I just looked at the weather forcast.
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    There's nothing like some good 'ol conflicting information eh :wink:
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • corona
    corona Posts: 116
    All my riding is in the sand. What works for me is a quick scrub with hot soapy water then lube. Once a week (ok more like once every 2 weeks) run the chain through a degreaser, then lube. I always use dry lube, but it only rains a couple of days a year here.
  • cooldad
    Wet lube equals big gummed up mess.
    Wax lube needs applying often in bad weather but no big mess.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Chains are cheap, ignore it
  • cooldad
    But mechs, cassettes and chainrings aren't.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • My model is mech = 4 * chain so don't bother about the wear - happy to be wrong. Increasing the time to replace mech by a beter chai is a false economy because of this leverage.
  • cooldad
    My model is mech = 4 * chain so don't bother about the wear - happy to be wrong. Increasing the time to replace mech by a beter chai is a false economy because of this leverage.
    Er what?
    I said nothing about better chains, I use cheap ones and replace them when needed, but having a sandy gunky mess grinding away at the expensive bits can't be good.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    My model is mech = 4 * chain so don't bother about the wear - happy to be wrong. Increasing the time to replace mech by a beter chai is a false economy because of this leverage.
    Fairly sure that made literally no sense whatsoever.
  • cooldad

I think his cat walked across the keyboard.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    cooldad wrote:

I think his cat walked across the keyboard.

hahaha!

Def get sand & grit out of chain - brush it, put it through a chain cleaning tool with citrus degreaser a couple of times, then dry & wax that baby up!

I found Finish Line Wax Lube (CRC seemed to have stopped stocking this so need to find another supplier) is really good for dry, dusty, sandy conditions a lot better than the Finish Line Dry Lube anyway.

"..cat walked across the keyboard.." hahaha - classic
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • I pop my chain off on a regular basis (SRAM powerlink) and drop it in an old 2 or 4 litre milk carton.
    Cover it in parafin, and shake it like mad for a bit. Comes out like new and Parafin costs naff all.(unlike pushbike chain cleaner) I use a similar method on my motorbike chains and they last for ages..
  • 12 months of beach riding with only a light hose down and a lube with what ever types's to hand here and all's well.

Don't worry just ride and lightly washdown afterwards.
    6181328264_7e47ffb024.jpg[