front wheel pulls to left when breaking.

purplemonk3y
purplemonk3y Posts: 17
edited October 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
hi all,

strange one this, and i'm not sure if its always happened. When I break the top of my wheel visabily moves (pulls?) to the left. Its very disconcerting, as it makes me think something might snap or break and the last thing i'd want is a front wheel doing that!
I have Hope 4 pot disk breaks on the front of my RockShock REcons with a factory front wheel which was fitted to my specialized hard rock pro.

Any idea what could be causing this?
and shoud l I be concernd?

edit: thought I'd just say, it pops back after breaking. and it doesn't appear to be lose on the skewer.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Does the fork stay in line when it does it?
  • Yeah the forks appear to be fine and ridged.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Assuming the hub bearings are fine, and the wheel tight in the droputs, could be very loose spoke tension, or a flexy wheel.
  • I replaced my skewer last night, and it appears visably better. will check the widths with a micrometer tonight. weird though I didnt' think skewers would come in diffferent thicknesses.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Are you doing the QR up tight? If the axle is moving in the drop out, braking will push the left hand end down and therefore move the top of the rim to the left.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    I had exactly the same problem on the same bike and forks - different brakes though. I had the wheel trued and fitted a new skewer which solved the problem. Cost me about £20 all in.
  • Redhog14 wrote:
    I had exactly the same problem on the same bike and forks - different brakes though. I had the wheel trued and fitted a new skewer which solved the problem. Cost me about £20 all in.

ah interesting. I will see about truing my wheel, had the bike for 3 years and its never been done!
  • Are you doing the QR up tight? If the axle is moving in the drop out, braking will push the left hand end down and therefore move the top of the rim to the left.

Simon

+1

If I don't have the QR about as tight as I can manage, I get the same effect
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • thecrofter wrote:
    Are you doing the QR up tight? If the axle is moving in the drop out, braking will push the left hand end down and therefore move the top of the rim to the left.

Simon

+1

If I don't have the QR about as tight as I can manage, I get the same effect

sorry I missed this post the 1st time round. this was my first port of call as such I do up the QR's so tight I have trouble undoing them afterwards. I have often wondered if there is a way to measure the correct force? a bit like you would with a normal bolt and a touque wrench.

I should have mentioned I bought some aftermarket Titenium QR skewers from ebay, they are A2Z brand, but as they were from Ebay and a little cheaper then i thought they should be, I do wonder if there is something dodgy about them. AFter swapping them back out for my origninals today there is a marked difference. As I peviously said I'm going to measure them later. but not sure if there is more to it then that?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    QR should leave a dent in your hand when doing it up but be loose enough to open with max two fingers.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools