Kenda Nevegal

bellys
bellys Posts: 456
edited October 2011 in MTB general
Are they any good on the rear been using one for a cpl of mth on the front and it seems ok not lost the front end yet.
reason im asking is i had a bad off over the weekend lost the back end on a dry gravel decent before i got it back front hit loose rock and kick me of the bike. my rear tyre is a MAxxis Advantage not sure its the best on a fast section. So i was going to swap Kenda to the rear and a High Roller on the front.

i was not hurt to bad....just my pride

rightarm.jpg[/img]
leftarm.jpg

Comments

• Turrican
    Turrican Posts: 755
    ouch nasty graze got there and yes they are good i got pair Kenda Nevagals on now and they are grippy. Try get dtc stickys as there are grippy i could ride on ice with out slipping haha nto trying to sound too good here or make the tyres that good but yeah u be good with them, iused them on dirt trails and decents and no probs.

My are 2.35 size wise by way :)

Hope helps
    I don't have a bike addiction problem.....bikes seems to have a problem with me.....it just can't seem to stay on.

http://www.moredirt.co.uk/users/FlowRideR661/
    http://flowrider661.pinkbike.com/
  • bellys
    Turrican wrote:
    ouch nasty graze got there and yes they are good i got pair Kenda Nevagals on now and they are grippy. Try get dtc stickys as there are grippy i could ride on ice with out slipping haha nto trying to sound too good here or make the tyres that good but yeah u be good with them, iused them on dirt trails and decents and no probs.

My are 2.35 size wise by way :)

Hope helps

thanks i will swap it over this week as im not riding untill next weekend.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Nevegal's a good tyre... But then so is the Advantage. You don't want a stick-e compound nevegal on the back unless you have legs like treetrunks or it's an uplift bike... And tbh if it's an uplift bike, probably don't want nevegals, they're trail tyres (the DH one is pretty crap)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bellys
    Northwind wrote:
    Nevegal's a good tyre... But then so is the Advantage. You don't want a stick-e compound nevegal on the back unless you have legs like treetrunks or it's an uplift bike... And tbh if it's an uplift bike, probably don't want nevegals, they're trail tyres (the DH one is pretty crap)

Can you recommend a good rear tyre not a dh sticky type
    Thanks
  • single ply minion
  • Northwind
    bellys wrote:
    Can you recommend a good rear tyre not a dh sticky type
    Thanks

Advantage :lol: Or, if you want something knobblier Specialized Eskar is really good, and usually pretty cheap- big, grippy, not too draggy, and seem to last forever. Or a DTC Nevegal (DTC is their faster compound, stick-e is their slow sticky compound, more or less works out as front and rear). Or a singleply minion though I don't like em much, loads of people do.

Or loads of others really, there's more good tyres than bad now.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I have a 2.1 DTC Nevegal for rear and 2.35 Stick-e for front. Havent tried them yet but I think this is reputed to be a good combination?
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    apreading's combo sounds good, though I'd go 2.1 front and back just cut drag. The Nevegal's are pretty grippy tyres and they roll fairly well too compared to others like the blue groove which stick like treacle
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Nothing grips dry gravel. it's like ball bearings. Technique could be improved on possibly, but tyres aren't likely of making much difference.
  • Northwind
    Some tyres are better than others though, a big paddly tyre can push around more gravel, and bigger knobbles can sometimes break through to a more solid base. Advantage is a fairly low profile tyre so has a bit less shovel than others.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • lochussie
    lochussie Posts: 276
    The only issue I had with my Nevegals was pinch flats, I think because the sidewalls are thin.