Its back...

Wrath Rob
Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
The headwind that is. Left work early into a westerly wall of wind. OMFG it was hard work riding home. Strangely all of the cyclists heading east looked happy and serene.

Millbank wind tunnel was at full force tonight. Good luck with the drafting fairies!
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

Comments

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Oh good. I may take it slowly then.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Did wonder about that after this morning's "awesome"
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Anyone fancy driving a train back westwards? Inaugural Team SCR TTT training session from Blackfriars to the park?
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,377
    Worryingly, I didn't feel my usual Monday perkiness on the way in. Hope this isn't going to start hard and get harder.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • stuj15
    stuj15 Posts: 167
    Wahoo!
  • medoramas
    medoramas Posts: 202
    Lucky me, my Mrs picked me and my bike from work tonight, as she needed me to be home earlier :-D
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Well that wasn't anything like as bad as I feared. Thanks to the white/red Castelli-clad fella on the Embankment for the tow to AB - nice pace into the wind. Felt almost like a tailwind between Priory Lane turn-off and Richmond and managed to hold 18mph all the way up Church Road :) Negative points to the MTBer in the Etape top - excellent pace on such a bike but you disgrace the jersey by RLJing.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Wind was nowhere near as bad as Wrath Ron lead us to believe. However, I wish I'd checked the back skewer had been tightened following the back hub being serviced. Gers were skipping all over the show and it felt really hard to push at some points - brake rub. Still decent average.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Wasn't great when I hit blackfriars ramp at 4.30, past Millbank I was below 20mph. I'm expecting biblical rain tomorrow as well as I used the extra time to wash my bike.

Wind is supposed to be up to 19mph by Thursday.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • joelsim
    I enjoyed the cycle back tonight. A couple of minutes slower than normal but nothing major.

I find the best way in the wind is just to relax. It used to stress me and I'd get really tired, now I just accept I'm not going to beat my PB and surprisingly make a decent time anyway.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Hmmm - one of those rare days when I abandon. Wind was gusting to 60mph at right-angles to the Kessock Bridge. I resisted the temptation as it's one of the few occasions that I've felt I've stupidly taken a risk when the wind has been like this previously. Walking across the bridge bracing yourself against being blown under the wheels of a 40T truck isn't fun.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • joelsim
    Hmmm - one of those rare days when I abandon. Wind was gusting to 60mph at right-angles to the Kessock Bridge. I resisted the temptation as it's one of the few occasions that I've felt I've stupidly taken a risk when the wind has been like this previously. Walking across the bridge bracing yourself against being blown under the wheels of a 40T truck isn't fun.

Yes it was very similar to that in Richmond Park too. But I braved it.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Joelsim wrote:

Surely in Richmond Park, the strongest wind you need to worry about either comes from one of your fellow cyclists that has been on the beans, or a park warden using one of those leaf blowing machines.... and falling under the hooves of a galloping fallow deer is slightly safer than the wheels of an artic driven by maniac
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Surely in Richmond Park, the strongest wind you need to worry about either comes from one of your fellow cyclists that has been on the beans, or a park warden using one of those leaf blowing machines.... and falling under the hooves of a galloping fallow deer is slightly safer than the wheels of an artic driven by maniac

Don't forget the rutting Red Deer...

_MG_5461-rut-stg.jpg

"Generally, the male (stag or hart) red deer is typically 175 to 230 cm (69 to 91 in) long and weighs 160 to 240 kg (350 to 530 lb)"

You've clearly never heard of Richmond's famous "Running of the Deer" festival. Its quite a rush.
  • meanredspider
    Joelsim wrote:

Yeah - I was in awe when I saw a gust nearly reached 10mph overnight - probably blew your boater clean off your head :shock: :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • joelsim
    RP is by far the windiest part of my journey. Even on a calm day the winds can get up in there in some places.
  • meanredspider
    Joelsim wrote:
    RP is by far the windiest part of my journey. Even on a calm day the winds can get up in there in some places.

My wind's bigger than your wind :lol:

Black Isle today: Peaks
    Wind Speed: 59.1km/h
    Wind Gust: 86.4km/h
    Peak this year: 144.0km/h from the NNW

Richmond

Wind Speed: 8.0km/h
    Wind Gust: 16.1km/h
    Peak this year: 38.6km/h from the ENE

*Edit* made a right mess of this
  • joelsim
    that's Richmond. The park is much windier.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    You northerners just don't know about the RP Micro-climate that leads to minature 180mph cyclones stalking the unwary as we crawl up the face of Col du Sawyers HIll
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • To say nothing of the areas around Millbank on the Embankment and the unpredictable swirls around Wellesley Rd in Croydon.

You don't know how lucky you are north of the border ;)
  • meanredspider
    Joelsim wrote:
    that's Richmond. The park is much windier.

Damn you're right

Black Isle today: Peaks
    Wind Speed: 59.1km/h
    Wind Gust: 86.4km/h
    Peak this year: 144.0km/h from the NNW

Richmond Park
    Wind Speed: 80.0km/h
    Wind Gust: 160.1km/h
    Peak this year: 360km/h from the Everywhere, man!