Anyone use Co2 inflators?

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
ive got money to spend on Specialized swag so was thinking of getting the "dual pump" thingy

normal pump with a Co2 cartridge aswell. i had a p******e on Friday an now have a really muscley arm from where i had to inflate my rear tyre....even then i only got it to about 60Psi

so Co2...is it a winner?
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    It's a winner until you completely balls it up by either screwing the cannister in whilst the pump valve is pen, or you fail to get the pump off the tube valve quickly and your tyre just deflates whilst you struggle.

I've done both in succession leaving me to walk home.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • I only use CO2 when out on the road, but I carry two canisters.
    --
    FCN 9
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I've got a mini pump that takes co2 cannisters, I've not mucked it up like Asprilla, but if I had, I could use the pump.

CO2 is a great way to make the whole miserable process much quicker
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I've not mucked it up like Asprilla

If you want it mucking up then I'm the man.

I carry a road morph mini in my rucksack as well, but it's easier to use CO2.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    CO2 is fab - fast and reliable with my Nano inflator. I've once had a misfire but I carry two cartridges and a micro pump for a bit of tyre fitting reinflation and hole-finding. Personally I wouldn't get a combined pump - the Nano is so small anyway.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    They're only really useful for skinny road tyres. They don't have the volume for bigger tyres.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    gilesjuk wrote:
    They're only really useful for skinny road tyres. They don't have the volume for bigger tyres.

Unless you don't just take one............
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Jehannum
    Jehannum Posts: 107
    I use a Barbieri VisionAir. It's a mini pump / CO2 inflator, but usefully, has a gauge, so you have a clue how much gas you're adding to the tube. It also seems to masquerade as the "Axiom Fuse Air LX gauge". I've had to use it twice in the last couple of weeks: I love it. It uses 16g threaded cartridges, costing around £1 a pop via eBay. It'll take a 700c x 23 up to about 120 psi easily enough. I paid about £10 for mine. Advice for use: open the valve very slowly indeed, as the gas comes out very, very quickly, once the valve starts to open.

HTH,

J.
    Reduce your carbon footprint - ride a metal bike!
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    gilesjuk wrote:

Unless you don't just take one............

Or you use a bigger cartridge (they come in a least three sizes).

Or you only ride with low tyre pressures.
    "Coming through..."
  • meanredspider
    gilesjuk wrote:

Actually I find the 16g ones spot-on for both Road tyres at around 110+psi and MTBs at around 40psi - which kinda makes sense.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Mini pump all the way for me.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    tyres i will probably be using are marathons (28's) will a 16g cartridge do that to about 100psi?

fanks!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Jehannum wrote:
    It uses 16g threaded cartridges, costing around £1 a pop via eBay. It'll take a 700c x 23 up to about 120 psi easily enough.

Significantly cheaper here: http://www.tyreinflators.co.uk/co2-cartridges/cat_22.html
  • meanredspider
    mudcow007 wrote:
    tyres i will probably be using are marathons (28's) will a 16g cartridge do that to about 100psi?

fanks!

Don't know for sure but I doubt it will quite manage 100psi. But then I guess 28s don't really need 100psi as that's what a lot of folk run 23s at
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Or take the bike to the LBS and let them do it
  • I carry both CO2 (SKS) and a Pocket Rocket mini-pump. Always use the CO2 (100psi easy), pump is for back-up (will also deliver 100psi quite easy...but takes longer). CO2 refills from tyreinflator in bulk, then dish out amongst friends at cost.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Picked up a Topeak One Timer in TK Max over the weekend for £7 on the clearance shelf. Couldn't leave it there for £7. Bargain. Wouldn't bother with it on the commute though, just means I've got a smaller 'pump' for the jersey pocket.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Jehannum
    Jehannum Posts: 107
    Jehannum wrote:
    It uses 16g threaded cartridges, costing around £1 a pop via eBay. It'll take a 700c x 23 up to about 120 psi easily enough.
    Significantly cheaper here: http://www.tyreinflators.co.uk/co2-cartridges/cat_22.html
    Ah, nice one - thanks!
    Reduce your carbon footprint - ride a metal bike!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    jehannum - where did you get yours? Only found 2 places which stock your pump (one under each name) but the UK dealer is out of stock and the euro dealer wants £20 for it
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    https://www.bike24.net/1.php?content=8; ... 123c65d3dc

is the one I found. The Axiom doesn't have a pressure gauge.

Ive used this one: and it worked a treat.
    http://www.genuineinnovations.com/secon ... -mini.html

think you can get them for about £20 in the uk.
  • Bloz
    Bloz Posts: 31
    Went out for a ride on my MTB yesterday afternoon and stayed out longer than I expected - on way home it was getting dark and I had no lights, no pump - like to travel as light as poss. Got a puncture about 2 miles from home - reinflated with CO2 kept in a small saddlepack and was on my way within about 60 seconds and made it home without having to walk.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    How long does the gas stay in a cannister?

Normally it is months before i would need one and i was just wondering ...........
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    How long does the gas stay in a cannister?

Normally it is months before i would need one and i was just wondering ...........

You don't break the top of the cannister until you need it, and then you get 1 shot to full inflation per cannister. If you don't break the top of the cannister then the CO2 will stay pressurised inside it indefinitely.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Get a proper frame pump. You'll get 100psi in ~60 or 70 strokes, easy, without needing Arnie Schwarzeneggar's arms. You'll not have to spend money every time you use it. It will never run out of air. And you'll look like a proper cyclist instead of a lycra-wearing dentist.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}