Surbiton - Kings Cross

okgo
okgo Posts: 4,368
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
I've done it the way I thought you guys would all do it and its coming out at 19 miles, which is a bloody long way to go twice a day!

So am I doing it right...

Surbiton to Richmond Park > Priory Lane > Lower Ricmnd Rd > Putney Bridge > NKR > Cheyne Wlk > Embankment - Blackfriars > Farringdon Rd > Arrive

Is there a way of cutting that down a bit as I imagine it not only will do me in over a week (currently do 11 miles each way) but it will take a fair amount of time too!
Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com

Comments

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    That's a decent route I think.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Come on Rob, you know that's the best route now man up.

I take it you are thinking about taking the role?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • okgo
    So given you live a few miles away from me, how far are you doing each day?!

Possibly, will see about that when they put pen to paper.

How long will that take? My average is around 17mph at the minute, can one go fast down embankment or is it a crawl fest with all the lights?
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • asprilla
    okgo wrote:

How long will that take? My average is around 17mph at the minute, can one go fast down embankment or is it a crawl fest with all the lights?

Mines 21 miles each way. Total time is about an hour and a quarter.

As you say, you can get some good speed, but the lights and junctions being your overall pace down.

19 miles each way will put hairs on your chest. Unfortunately doing over 20 also puts hairs on your back.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Sometimes instead of cutting down the embankment at Cheyne Walk it makes a change to go straight on and head to Buckingham palace and work you way up from there. Its lovely at dawn in the summer when the roads are clear and gives you a bit of respite from the normal journey.

Alernatively a neighbour reckons the quicker way in from surbition is round the back of wimbledon / heading to E&C - he says the turns are all left so he''ll be a RLJer. Also he reckons circa 50 / 55 mins to St Pauls from Thames Ditton - never fancied the routre myself as I like the fresh air in RP. If anyone knows this route can you send a biketoaster in? Ta
    Rose Pro DX Cross 3000
    GT Edge Ti
    Ribble Audax
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,376
    Yep, CS7 or variants thereon is quicker (look at the map, it's pretty much a straight line), but it's not as nice as riding through RP. Does miss out Putney Bridge and NKR though, which are both rubbish IMO.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Bi50N
    Bi50N Posts: 87
    I commute between South Wimbledon > Surbiton - here's my route

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/34064484

From South Wimbledon you can then pick up the CS7 into town
  • asprilla
    You could knock a bit off by going up the A3, but given out last attempt to do that I'd give it a miss....
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Asprilla wrote:
    okgo wrote:

Mines 21 miles each way. Total time is about an hour and a quarter.

As you say, you can get some good speed, but the lights and junctions being your overall pace down.

19 miles each way will put hairs on your chest. Unfortunately doing over 20 also puts hairs on your back.

Your very own Roubaix fabric for the winter.
  • Esher to London Bridge, my way fyi...

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/4223037
    Vespa GTS 300 most days... Trek 7.7FX the rest
  • okgo
    Don't like the look of the backstreet routes tbh.

Probably just follow the pack and go Embankment etc.

Luckily most jobs in my industry don't start till 9.30 so it won't be too bad.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Which route do you take from surbiton to the park, which gate are you going in, which way round and which gate? Where in Surbiton do you start from?

My route from Worcester Park, through New Malden, into Richmond park at the ped gate between Bloomfield and Dark Hill then Anit Clockwise to Roehampton is only 17miles or so (to old street) I can't see why Surbiton is 2 mile more than this, should be shorter!
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • asprilla
    Sketchley wrote:
    Which route do you take from surbiton to the park, which gate are you going in, which way round and which gate? Where in Surbiton do you start from?

My route from Worcester Park, through New Malden, into Richmond park at the ped gate between Bloomfield and Dark Hill then Anit Clockwise to Roehampton is only 17miles or so (to old street) I can't see why Surbiton is 2 mile more than this, should be shorter!

At the moment he's near enough going from Brighton Road / Surbiton Station and entering the Park at Kingston. Also, it's not really Kings Cross that he's going to, I think it's a mile or so further north than that.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Asprilla wrote:
    Come on Rob, you know that's the best route now man up.

I take it you are thinking about taking the role?

Chain gang to LBR?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • okgo
    I go from KFC in Surbiton (basically) down to portsmouth road, along there, through kingston market past the back of those shite flats, up kings road all the way to Kingston Gate.

With regards to location, its up york way a little bit, its about 300 yards up from the station, so I don't think its that much further north Chris?

Chain gang sounds good (if they ever get their sodding offer to me), but not sure I can hang with you boys!
  • asprilla
    I thought it was in Islington? That's the address given when you search their website.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    http://g.co/maps/xr5xm 17.0 miles with the Embankment

http://g.co/maps/crkbk 15.4 miles more direct route through central London

Both of these take a more direct route to the park and then go anticlockwise as it's shorter. Going clockwise adds 0.8 miles. Pen ponds as seen here http://g.co/maps/6ves2 adds 0.2 miles to the route and you don't have to go up Dark Hill.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • okgo
    I see what you mean, I don't like the faff of cutting through to the park like that, the way I go is very easy and you don't need to stop much.

I have done Dark Hill a couple of times this week and it is indeed a fair bit faster than the other way (a lot less pretty though) but I do worry about the steep downhill in the cold (maybe ice?)

But maybe I was just doing my distances wrong!