Skidding at trail centres, why??

2»

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    What's a wheelie skid?
    You pop the front wheel up and skid, funnily.
  • the Labyrinth section at Swinley has been destroyed by these Fuds.

I had to google "fud". Yuck. You learn something every day.
  • *AL* wrote:
    I actively skid on trails

Do you put a foot down and slide out the rear wheel, speedway stylee ?

Nah. Sh!ts himself. While doing a wheelie, apparently.
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • I had to google "fud". Yuck. You learn something every day.

I had to google it aswell. Northwind used it first and his location is Edinburgh so it makes sense.
    A bit extreme but when I'm going down a run at speed and my filling are being shaken loose, I do think something like the equivalent of "What Fud causes all these braking bumps?"
  • On a recent trip to Sherwood Pines, i was pushing so hard that in the dry and dusty conditions my back wheel was drifiting out... does this count as skidding?

What's wrong with just turning a corner normally, unless you're in a race, i don't see how the saved milliseconds of skidding round a corner adds to the enjoyment of a ride...
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Everyone in this thread has lost their sense of childishness and fun.
  • Everyone in this thread has lost their sense of childishness and fun.

Not really... there is a time and a place for skidding. With the "push" of bikers trying to get increased access rights, (not that i take any notice of them), skidding is going to do little in our favour, riding normally has little impact and is comparable to a walker, skidding, rips up the ground (especially a natural trail) and increases erosion.

On a man-made trail, it costs a hell of a lot of effort and time to repair all the damage caused by muppets (or fuds) skidding. Why mis-treat it... respect it.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Does sound a bit like a takeover from the Commuting forum.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    What's a wheelie skid?
    You pop the front wheel up and skid, funnily.
    Which slams the front end back down?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    People should skid more at Sherwood Pines, might make it more interesting.

Anyway I sometimes skid, but not in a straight line - usually to steer the rear.
  • north-sure wrote:
    On a recent trip to Sherwood Pines, i was pushing so hard that in the dry and dusty conditions my back wheel was drifiting out... does this count as skidding?
    No if you riding hard and the back wheel drifts without braking that's a very different motion, the wheel is still rotating so won't dig into the surface as much as a skid
    In a skid the wheel locks and the treads dig into the surface.
    north-sure wrote:
    What's wrong with just turning a corner normally, unless you're in a race, i don't see how the saved milliseconds of skidding round a corner adds to the enjoyment of a ride...
    That's the whole thing skidding doesn't save time, when the wheel locks you are not braking as efficiently as if you don't. (Think of all those demonstations of ABS in cars.) So if you brake properly you can brake later and harder and hence go into the corner faster and get out smoother.
    Look at pro racers and see if any of them skid?
  • supersonic wrote:
    Anyway I sometimes skid, but not in a straight line - usually to steer the rear.
    Why only to the right? This sort of implies that you left arm is weaker than your right. Have you been been spending too much time looking at the Girls in Lycra shorts Thread? :lol:

It's late, base level humour expected!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    edited October 2011
    I had to google it aswell. Northwind used it first and his location is Edinburgh so it makes sense.

Also it's swearfilter-immune. Very useful word.

I like to do skids, there's times you can do it no bother... Though, I did nearly bin it on a fireroad at innerleithen at the weekend :lol: Cool right up until you fall off. But there's a time and a place.

Front end skids are double awesome, incidentally.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • plus we all know what happened just after Jesus Christ, superstar, came down from heaven on a Yamaha, pulled a skid..... think the less said about that the better.
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • Northwind wrote:
    But it's just like having a w*nk- absolutely fine on a quiet fire road, but not in the middle of a busy trailcentre berm.

Memo to self, take extra care on fire roads in Scotland, they may have unexpected sticky patches.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Everytime I go to Cannock and do FtD I go out there with every intention to skid. But only in one place (on the little bridge towards the end of section 2) For 2 reasons.

1) It makes a really cool (and LOUD) noise (it also doesn't do my tyres much good but I really like the noise)

2) To get the back end round before that tight right hand off the bridge, otherwise I find I have to go much slower and steer round properly which isn't as fun.

Other than that I do my best not too, unless a corner really really really is begging for it but even then I normally don't having seen what's happened around Cannock I don't think it's too fair on the trail builders.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    supersonic wrote:
    Why only to the right? This sort of implies that you left arm is weaker than your right. Have you been been spending too much time looking at the Girls in Lycra shorts Thread? :lol:

It's late, base level humour expected!
    the words "rear" and "right" have different meanings you frigging imbecile.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Angry Bird wrote:
    ...on the little bridge towards the end of section 2...
    Everyone does that :)

Also compulsory to do a huge lairy skid on the fireroad approach to the little short cut before Lower Cliff.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    .blitz wrote:
    Angry Bird wrote:
    ...on the little bridge towards the end of section 2...
    Everyone does that :)

Also compulsory to do a huge lairy skid on the fireroad approach to the little short cut before Lower Cliff.

Absolutely
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    nwmlarge wrote:
    BigLee1 wrote:
    nwmlarge wrote:
    skidding is fun!

true but theres a time and a place!

on dirt where someone else will repair the trail ? :lol:

I was thinking more of gravelly car parks when you`re 10 :wink:
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    Anyway, what would you rather have? 10 volunteers repairing trails or making new ones?
    Speaking with the ranger at whinlatter it surprised me the amount of work goes in to keeping the trail as a red route as otherwise some features can degrade into what would be black sections. He`s got to check it all as part of health and safety!

seem`s a lively debate has started :D
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    danny hart did a skid in his amazing run down
  • Markmjh
    Markmjh Posts: 415
    Tom Howard wrote:
    plus we all know what happened just after Jesus Christ, superstar, came down from heaven on a Yamaha, pulled a skid..... think the less said about that the better.

Has he been at it again??? I'm sure he did the same thing in a Jaguar!!!!
    Ride Crash Ride Again
  • nwmlarge wrote:
    danny hart did a skid in his amazing run down

No he doesn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqYgAX6D43Q

At 1.11 his backend drifts out on an off camber bend in the wet conditions and he puts his foot down to stabalise it, he doesn't initiate the skid and doesn't lock the rear wheel.
    He doesn't even skid in the carpark after he's crossed the line.

Skids = less speed.
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt) which probably works too. Or the scottish slang for pussy etc. How sweet.
    Silly rabit, skidding is for kids...
    Many happy trails!
  • lastwords
    lastwords Posts: 304
    north-sure wrote:
    On a recent trip to Sherwood Pines, i was pushing so hard that in the dry and dusty conditions my back wheel was drifiting out... does this count as skidding?

I would say you could maybe call it a skid but i think you described it correct as drifting.

The skidding that is being complained about is when 'fuds' lock the backwheel up in an attempt to slow down coming into a corner or during the corner, or just to skid the back end round. These result in Fud Bumps.

Sherwood pines is not too bad for braking bumps but then it is an easy trail but at cannock chase well thats another story.
  • amclinden
    amclinden Posts: 101
    Cannock seems to be full of people going silly slow, wimping out of small obstacles and braking through entire smooth sections. I feel they would enjoy a less technical trail more but like to do the "hard" trail to make them feel like a big boy

True dat.
    Swveeeet¡¡¡