First SS gearing help!

v666ern
v666ern Posts: 7
edited October 2011 in Road general
Hey all,

Ive just got my first SS an 05 langster and its currently running 41 / 19 gearing, stupid question but can anyone point me in the right direction for some decent replacement sprockets...im thinking 42-16

FYI my commute is 12 miles total and relatively flat

THANK YOU

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    http://www.velosolo.co.uk/intro.html

Is a good place to start.
  • thank you

do i need any special tools, my crank arms are stickered as on one?[/img]
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    41-19 is ridiculously low... I would start with 44 -16 and see how you get on

for the cranks you need an allen key and possibly a screwdriver to hold the inner bolt free but be careful not to mash them as they are alu bolts
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • glad someone else has said that - ive just ridden it around my estate and ive been getting up to speed around there which seems daft

thanks for the advice ill get buying!
  • stupid question part 2 - will i now need to order a new chain also?

sorry for being thick but id rather learn how to do it myself than pay someone for what looks like a relatively simple task!
  • mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    Keep your 41 ring and put on a 15T; slightly higher than 42/16 but nothing in it and probably better for a flat commute (41/15 gives 72.1" against 69.2" for 42/16 with 23 section tyres). You will probably have to shorten your chain so no, you do not need to buy a new one, just the tool to shorten it (assuming that you haven't already got one and that you know how to use it). Try the new combination in the bike before touching the chain to see how much (if at all) you need to shorten it.
    This is assuming a fixed wheel. If you want to use a freewheel you may well be limited to 16T because it will be the smallest size that will fit on your hub. (Smaller freewheels tend to use a smaller thread diameter to go onto the hub). In this case a 44T ring will give 72.5". Shop around if its a freewheel prices vary a lot (and make sure that its not 1/8" if the chain is 3/32").
  • mz__jo
    If you want a freewheel and have a lot of hassle with the crank you could just limit yourself to 41/16 and keep the chainring as it is. (67.6", not ideal but still better than the 57" that you have at present).
    There is a tool designed for holding the slots on the chainring bolts. Shimano do one and I imagine that Park, Var and probably a whole lot of other people do as well. I've always managed with a screwdriver but the real tool could be easier if you are investing!
  • MZ_JO you are a legend, i am lazy so yes will be running the freewheel first and taking your advice ive just purchased a shimano dx 16t freewheel :D

many thanks all
  • mz__jo
    You may still have a problem getting the old freewheel off. There may be a tool available for the job but quite frankly the easiest thing to do is to give it to a bike shop to do and let them worry about how. I have a single freewheel that I pull to pieces whenever I want to remove it (and then have to rebuild, making sure I don't lose any of the balls or shims) but for a one time change it is not really worth the effort and you still need a suitable workbench with a vice or a big adjustable spanner or pipe wrench. There should be a remover for your Shimano DX freewheel, which it could be useful to have for the future.