Hayes Stroker Trail vs XT disc brakes

dusk
dusk Posts: 583
edited October 2011 in MTB general
Has anyone got any experience with both these brakes?

I've got Strokers at the moment but i'm really tempted by the XTs after seeing very good reviews.

I find the Strokers good brakes but due to injury I need some brakes that are truly one finger operation which I don't quite have with the Hayes.

So are the new Shimano brakes really that good and would they be worth the £200 upgrade over the Strokers?
YT Wicked 160 ltd
Cotic BFe
DMR Trailstar
Canyon Roadlite

Comments

• kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    I had the hayes and went to a set of Formulas. They are so much beter in every way and I can now one finger brake, which I could not with the Hayes.
  • kdawg74
    kdawg74 Posts: 271
    Had both and XT's are way better, good power and modulation.
    In contrast Hayes are under powered and a very wooden on - off feeling, the set ihad i sold after 5 rides.
    2008 Kona Dawg Deluxe http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... luxe%2008/

Schwinn Madison fixie
    Tifosi Road bike
    Singlespeed Hardtail http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... AG0457.jpg
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I have Hayes Stroker Trail and have no problem one finger braking even with 160mm rotors. I never use more.
    Maybe you are weak?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • dusk
    Yes I am weak, I seriously injured my wrist and have lost pretty much all strength hence wanting a brake that I can comfortably use with one finger so I can use the other three to hang on for dear life!
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • I have Stroker Trails 203/180 on my Cube and Shimano Deore 180/160 on my Kona Caldera.

They are used for different styles of riding however I much prefer the power/feel of the Deores and when finances allow I shall be changing to XT 180/160 on my Cube

Matthew
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    dusk wrote:
    Yes I am weak, I seriously injured my wrist and have lost pretty much all strength hence wanting a brake that I can comfortably use with one finger so I can use the other three to hang on for dear life!

Formula, ooooooodles of power.
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    would a change of pad make a lot of difference?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The new XT M785s are without a doubt the most powerful brake I've ever ridden, but it still has bags of feel to the lever. In fact, it was disconcertingly powerful at first, since I'd grab the same handful of brake as before, and get thrown forwards!
    They're also very definitely intended for one finger braking, since the lever is too small to get two fingers on it!
  • dusk
    I'm now thinking I should get some Saints? :?
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What bike is it for, how much do you weigh?
  • Anonymous
    dusk wrote:
    I'm now thinking I should get some Saints? :?
    Why?

(ahem, cough cough... the new XTRs, and probably XTs as well by extension, are actually more powerful than the Saints)
  • dusk
    I'm only 12 stone and it'd be for my Trek ex8, I know it would probably be overkill but I want some serious power, i'm also not bothered about weight
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd still go for XTs. If you want high blunt power, Deore M595.
  • dusk
    I want some modulation, I bought the bike 2nd hand and the previous owner had put a 9" disc on the front :lol: :roll: I've already switched back to a 7"
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Ive got hayes stroker trails on my current HT and i had xt discs on an old bike. The xt's on my old bike had 203mm rotors front and rear and would stop no question, to me though they always felt a bit damp and wet when really called on to do the job. The stroker trails im currently using seem largely the same in terms of power although i have just brought a 203mm rotor to go on the front so they should have even more to give.

To me atleast they both seem very equal in terms of modulation, if anythin the hayes have a slightly firmer linear feel to them cause they dont have the silly 'servo wave' gubbins in the lever the xt's do which to me means they feel much better in action.
  • Anonymous
    I disagree about the servo-wave, I reckon it gives a nice initial feel, whilst firming up nicely. The new XTs benefit greatly from the progressive feel.
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    I disagree about the servo-wave, I reckon it gives a nice initial feel, whilst firming up nicely. The new XTs benefit greatly from the progressive feel.

I never got on with it myself, i much prefer a linear feel to my brakes which even after playin around with i could never get completely the right feel with the xt's.
  • Anonymous
    The old XTs. New ones are not the same brake. Hell they're not even ad advancement of the same brake.
  • d00m
    d00m Posts: 160
    I have stroker trails, they have enough power but I'm not keen on the way they feel. On the upside, it encourages me to use them less.
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    cooldad wrote:
    I have Hayes Stroker Trail and have no problem one finger braking even with 160mm rotors. I never use more.
    Maybe you are weak?
    got to agree, my trails could throw me over bars using one finger. I find them well modulated too...
  • Have had Stroker Trails since they came on my hardtail in 2008. Have worked perfectly and have only needed to changed the brake fluid for the first time this year.

They brake very well. Have used them in three Mega Avalanches without any issues.
  • Anonymous
    what have you compared them to?
  • dusk
    I'm not slagging off Stroker Trails in any way or calling them weak in terms of power, they're much better than my old Hope mono mini.

I just wanted a brake that is very strong with one (weak) finger usage so I can enjoy riding at speeds like I did before buggering my wrist without fear of losing my grip and having more trips to the hospital :(

For the moment i've just ordered some new adapters so I can go 8" front and 7" rear rotors and see how they work
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    what have you compared them to?
    Various Avids, ranging from mediocre to excellent, various Shimano ranging from good to excellent, some Hopes which were pretty good and looked great, some Formula, can't remember which but were very excellent.
    Starting from scratch would probably go for Formula or XT (mineral oil is much more pleasant than DOT fluid) but the Hayes are powerful, trouble free and work for me.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools