Exeter to Boscastle

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,064
edited October 2011 in Tour & expedition
I'm planning on riding from home (Marlborough) to Boscastle next Friday, route wise I'm fine until Exeter but from there its all unknown to me, any local advice on riding from Exeter to Boscastle would be very welcome.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/52111776
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• I regularly ride out of Cornwall towards Exeter. From Exeter I would take the A377 to Crediton; quite busy but good road and the traffic is not daunting. From Crediton, A3072 through Copplestone, Bow, North Tawton and Sampford Courtenay. Briefly onto the B3216 to Hatherleigh and then back onto A3072 to Holsworthy and Bude/Stratton. From Bude, A39 to Wainhouse Corner and then B3263 into Boscastle. Although this route entails lots of A road it is a good route and the traffic is ok with plenty of room for vehicles to give you a wide berth. Have a good one.
  • mustol
    mustol Posts: 134
    Although I don't know the route as well as flashman469, I would follow his route to Bude, but after all those A and B roads, I would then follow the coast road through Widemouth and Crackington Haven, before joining B3263 - it's tough, but the views are superb. It would be a shame to stick to the main roads and miss it, although it does of course depend on how much time you've got and how much energy you've got left in the legs. Enjoy.
  • This is the route I would use. I have used it several times this year. It avoids the horrible A377 out of Crediton (veryvery busy, very narrow, just horrible)

Old A30 between Exeter and Okehampton. You will go through Tedburn St Mary, Cheriton Bishop, Crockernwell, Whiddon Down, and Sticklepath. Cafes are on this route at several places.

At Okehampton go up the hill to the old train station (cafe, but not open every day) and get onto NCN27 called The Granite Way. This has a tarmac surface for the vast majority of the way. Go along this route to the end (DO NOT turn off at Lake Viaduct) to the picnic area. Go along a very short, approx 70 metres, section of track to join A386 to Lydford. In Lydford (more cafes here) turn right at war memorial and travel through Hedge Cross, Lowertown, Coryton, Sydenham Bridge, to jon the old A30 at Portgate (sorry, steep hills here but until this point it is predominantly downhill, really!). Get to Launceston on old A30 via Lifton. Over River Tamar at Polson Bridge and turn immediately right to avoid hill into Launceston town centre (unless you want to use excellent shops etc) by using minor roads.

From Launceston pick up lane from the Newport area of the town which follows the old railway and River Kensey, keep on this to Higher Tredundle and turn off left to Pipers Pool to cross the A395. Use the lanes through Trewin to pick up the ridge road which goes to Davidstow moor. This road goes via The Rising Sun in and continually climbs but in a very gentle way. It is a large lane, cars can easily pass you, the surface is excellent. Keep on this road over Davidstow moor and turn off to go to eventually cross the A39 near Trewassa. You will now be on the high ground above Boscastle. Use the minor roads to fly down the hill into the village.

So, sounds complicated but it really is not. It avoids hills as far as is possible in Devon and Cornwall. If you are interested in this route I can email you a .gpx file and you can see it for yourself via bikehike.co.uk or etcetera.

Regards,
    Martin