Problem with Tora Forks

ricktabor1
ricktabor1 Posts: 272
edited October 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I have some Rockshox rs 302 forks which i just don't get on with. I was considering buying some Recon TK forks but have been told that this may not be an upgrade (see thread in buying advise).

Here's the problem:

When I have the u-turn switched so that i get the maximum travel, the forks make a knocking noise when they spring back up to the top - i'm not sure if this is normal.
If I reduce the travel by about 40mm, this doesn't happen but then i have less travel to play with. I've heard about Toras bottoming out but this seems to be the opposite, i'm only light weight (9 stone) so I don't think bottoming out will be an issue for me.
The forks work well in every respect other than the fact that the noise does my head in on a bumpy path cos its like a constant noise then.
Any advice?
Got to get up to get down

Comments

• gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    could be the top out spring, or they might just want a service
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • Didn't know about the top out spring - is this easy to replace?
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    pretty much a total strip down on the spring side of the fork, lowers off then service the spring assembly.

Technical Manual - RockShox - 2010

RockShox - Spare Parts Catalog - 2012
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • Ok.

Thanks for the info. I'll take a look and see what's going on inside....... probably break them during the process but hey at least i'll learn something on the way!!!