Etape Caledonia or Fred Whitton?

hatone
hatone Posts: 228
Annoyingly both events clash on Sunday 13th May as I planned to do both.

Now, which one should I do? I'm looking enter for the experience and challenge, in preparation for the La Marmotte.

Thanks

Comments

• cookdn
    cookdn Posts: 410
    The isn't advice one way or the other but If you haven't seen it have a look at Is this Britain's toughest sportive? - http://www.bikeradar.com/blog/article/is-this-britains-toughest-sportive-30284.

A quote from the comments
    A friend from my cycling club (CC Luton) went as far as to comment that it was tougher than the Marmot.

If I get chance I am going to have a go at some of the passes over the next 12 months as we visit my parents in Cumbria regularly. However that will be one at a time not one after the other :-).

A group of friends and I are planning to do the Rad am Ring in August next year, if that goes ok as a group activity I an going to see if there is any interest for La Marmotte in 2014. I know one friend who will be up for it as we used to do a lot of white water kayaking in the same region of the French Alps.

Best regards
    Boardman CX Team
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Don't think there's any doubt that the Fred is a much harder route, the Etape Cal only has one real hill, and several of the big Lakes climbs are harder than that one.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Looking at the route, elevation profile and distance, the Etape is a day out in the country, perhaps with your family along for the ride if they do a bit. The Fred is a monster.

You should really know which you would rather do, they are as chalk and cheese. Etape is closed roads, which might appeal.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Do the Fred. As said above the Etape is a not a real challenge just a nice ride on your bike. The fred is as tough as they come - well apart from the Marmotte.

I do the Fred every year and it gives me a goal to aim for as you need to be fit to get a good time and get round without walking on Hardknott. It helped with my Marmotte prep last year but I am never race fit for the Fred as its too early in the year but it lets you know how much you need to improve in the next 7 weeks.
    Brian B.
  • I often cycle down to the bottom of honister pass then turn around and head back home thinking sod that one day maybe lol,respect to anyone doing this challenge.http://youtu.be/kzNfufUHh9Q enjoy
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    +1 do the Fred (if you can get an entry)

Great route and tough. Not as tough as the Marmotte :wink: but technically trickier.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    That's pretty much answered the question I'm sure. If you're looking for a challenge don't bother with Etape Caledonia. You'd have to try pretty hard to plot an 80 mile route in Scotland that was as easy as The EC. There's one climb and a bit of a short steep ramp near the end. Neither of which will prepare you for La Marmotte.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French