What a nightmare!

Babyhead_wipeout
Babyhead_wipeout Posts: 47
edited October 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I sold my bike today, and the lady that brought it is picking it up tommorow.
I advertised the bike as being in good nick, with perfect gears, and having Michelin XC hard terrain tyres.

It had my Kenda Nevagals still fitted, so I set about changing them to the Michelins, no biggy, changed a bike tyre dozens of times.

However, for some reason, maybe bad luck, maybe sheer irony, the chain dropped and managed to twist on itself (I have no idea how or why this happened, never happened before!) So, as I tried to detangle it and un-jam it from the chain rings, it just got progressively worse :!:

I don't have a chain tool so decided to remove the jockey wheels. This worked and I managed to sort the chain out. I reassembled everything (using a cheap, crap, wilkinsons mulit-tool as I leant my cousin my decent allen key kit yesterday :roll: )
When I checked the gears it was rubbing horribly and wouldnt shift, after some swearing I realised I put the rear of the cage on upside down :evil:
So, having redone all of the above, I then glance down and see a washer on the floor....you guessed it, the jockey wheel! :evil:

So, again I redo it all, and now checking the gears, there not quite right, mainly just on the downshift, needs an extra prod on the lever to make it move.

I am fuming and only have tommorow morning to sort the gears, any suggestions?

I can't believe my luck here, I mean seriously, how can something so easy, and something iv'e done so many times before become such a nightmare?!

:(
Boardman Comp 2011 Hardtail

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    any suggestions?

:(

sort things to how they will be sold before advertising and then leave well allow.

read Parktools as only you know what you have done etc.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • A lesson well learnt!

Its just the gears, the rear mech is sometimes hesitant to move up to bigger cogs.

Bigger as in physically, lower gear...
  • lugsey2k5
    lugsey2k5 Posts: 960
    Putting a quarter turn in on the barrel adjuster to add tentionfor the mech or shifter should remove that hesitation just make sure it still shifts up again.
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    Could be crap in the cables ? Give them a clean and re-lube.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Unless its a rapid rise (and the description suggests not) then crud in the cables only affects shifting to smaller gears - shifting when reducing not adding cable tension....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for the help everyone, managed to get it sorted half hour before they arrived.

I now have a Boardman Comp 2011 Hardtail in excellent condition which I got for £300!

Very happy.