Should I keep this or ebay it off?!

Gibbo3771
Gibbo3771 Posts: 145
edited October 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi,

I just got a hold of a brand new carrera vengeace 2011 for £220. I have read a little bit on the internet about it and it seems a good bike from the reviews, but who knows....those people are probably riding it along roads and tarmac.

In here however, is where the true bikers lurk :p (i hope :s )

How is the vengeance offroad? I have rode it a few times on tarmac and road and then also tried it on a landrover track about 5 miles from my house in the rain and it is my first time trying offroad MTB so it was rather difficult lol.

I have the option to sell this bike for pretty much retail price, 20 quid give or take.

On these forums its all talk about specialized bike gear, fox shocks (lolwut?) and fancy stuff....I feel as if my bike doesent have any of this lol, it feels cheap :(

Whats your opinions on this bike?

So far from my newb review...

Cons:
Gears seem to slip (maybe cables need 4-5 weeks to settle and stretch)
Saddle honestly gives anal destruction, even on the flattest roads
No rear suspension (called shocks?) but apparently hardtails are preffered for more of a challange
The handlebar grips, dont really grip. If they arent hurting my hands they are falling off
Heavy stock wheels?

Pros:

Responsive breaks imo, even when wet
Front suspension is bouncy but not too bouncy, adjustable afaik..no idea on brand
Frame paintjob looks pretty mint lol

Thats my view so far, help me out a bit and recieve free cookies :D

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    For the money you got a bargain. Sounds like it needs some readjustment - and saddles are easy to change.

I'd keep it, and in the future think about upgrading the forks.
  • Grips are easy enough to change! Superstar components - you can get a great set for about £10.

I started off on a similar bike, I have absolutely thrashed it about and the only thing wrong with it was that the seals on the fork weren't great and let water in and they have started to corrode. This was simply because I never once took it apart. I think the only "maintenance" I ever did was to lube the chain every so often.

If you look after it, it will be fine.

As SS said, you can upgrade things as you go along and as you see fit. Just get out and ride it, enjoy yourself!

Oh, and as for Full Suss, some argue it is better to learn how to ride on a hardtail.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Its a more than reasonable bike you got at an exceelent price, start budgeting for better forks, meanwhile get on and ride it!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Gibbo3771
    Gibbo3771 Posts: 145
    Thanks for replies guys, ive not been off the bike since I posted yesterday :p....its 13° outside and it is pouring down so im gonna take it for a spin :twisted:

So looks like I am in the market for some new forks, how much am I looking at here?

I can afford around 100 tbh, 150 pushing it...my original bike budget was 350-400 but managed to snag this on ebay for 220 so I have left over cash hehe.

Any reccomendations?

Also I am thinking about getting these http://www.ergon-bike.com/us/en/product ... tbau-white

Look nice but no idea if they are any good lol :D[/url]
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    I got an £3000 machine my mates got a £200 machine he's has had it for two years and gets around everywhere I do and enjoys it just as much so forget about bling and just ride it and better to have ya falls and damage that rather than an expensive bike which you may turn to in time if you stick at it.
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Forks - ebay is your friend where 1-2 year old forks go for about 1/2 price or less.....keep an eye out, check what is going and see if it's any good then buy!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.