Conti 4000s

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,064
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
A couple of years ago I switched from gatorskins to the 4000s on my sportive and trek I'm really happy with the upgrade, handling blah blah etc even though they do cut more easily than the gatorskins its never an effort every once in a while to let the air out then pick out the flint and stones dab some superglue on any of the larger cuts and back in business, however today I noticed a 1/2 cm slit on the side wall which is slightly bulging :?

This tyres not even seen that many miles and did cost a packet, I have and had cuts like that on other conti with no problems at all, the question is do i risk a 180 mile ride next weekend with this cut or bin the expensive tyre?

I guess I could take it off and check if the cuts all the way through? if not patch? can you patch like that?
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    I'd say that if it's bulging then it's a gonner. If the integrity of the side wall has been compromised like that then I wouldn't do a 180 mile ride on it, unless you knew you were passing lots of train stations...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    You can fit a boot inside the tyre to spread the load. I use a strip of cut-up toothpaste tube, wrapped a couple of times around the inner tube at the point of failure.

The last one I did lasted for a few thousand miles until the tyre wore out. The cut was long enough that, without the boot, the tube would poke through the hole under pressure.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I certainly wouldn't run it on the front! Personally I wouldn't use it full- stop.

I switch backwards and forwards between Gators and 4000Ss (you might have seen my thread on the relative speeds of the tyres) and the GPs are certainly soft but do roll better. That would make them worth running on a long ride.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Well...if you do decide to replace the tyre, I'll have it if that's all right! I've got a fat arse so falling off doesn't worry me much, plenty of crumple zone...
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Hmm think i'll fit a boot and risk it
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    I've had a couple of 4000s that have gone on the side wall.