Endomondo Pro - Worth paying for?

Cheshley
Cheshley Posts: 1,448
edited January 2012 in MTB general
I've just downloaded the basic free version of Endomondo and I see that the paid for version features a low power consumption setting.

Is anyone using this and does it make a huge difference to your battery life?

Ta
1998 Marin Hawk Hill
2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.

Comments

• I use endomondo pro on an iPhone 4 and it only used half of the battery when I ran it for around 7 and a half hours. This should be long enough for most rides!!!

The other feature that is good is that you can track your time against previous rides and get voice updates every mile on your progress.

A good app for less than the cost of a pint :-)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Personally don't think a feature to save battery life is something that should be charged for. Should come as standard or better still the OS deals with the power savings. I didn't have this problem with Endo on my Nokia. Then again, the OS is fairly crap to use and the company is going down the pan, but they at least knew how to deliver efficient devices.
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    Nokia have some new OS's on the horizon that are supposed, well according to my mate who works there, to be amazing. Time will tell though.
  • Anonymous
    gixer5 wrote:
    I use endomondo pro on an iPhone 4 and it only used half of the battery when I ran it for around 7 and a half hours.
    Over half the people I ride with have iPhones, with Endomondo. 7 hours is complete fantasy.
  • Anonymous
    edited September 2011
    Eranu wrote:
    Nokia have some new OS's on the horizon that are supposed, well according to my mate who works there, to be amazing. Time will tell though.
    Well I just left them today ;), but main things going on really are Windows Phone and the OS is entirely delivered by MS.

Latest Symbian stuff is actually looking rather nice finally, but no matter how good it is the retailers are going to be struggling to shift them now that the big boss effectively killed it dead with his statement on it.

gixer5 wrote:
    I use endomondo pro on an iPhone 4 and it only used half of the battery when I ran it for around 7 and a half hours.
    Over half the people I ride with have iPhones, with Endomondo. 7 hours is complete fantasy.
    Been out for a days riding or skiing with my old Nokia and both Endomondo and Sports Tracker both last the whole day and still don't require charging until the next day. But I know iPhone battery life sucks generally anyway.

Difference though between smart phones that have sexy stuff, do everything and need powerful processors, and clunky old ones that plod along with antique old ARM processors that draw little power. For tracking apps though you just don't need powerful kit.

I find it nuts that new phones are coming out in the post 1Ghz range with dual and even quad cores! People have lost sight of what a phone actually is.
  • Anonymous
    I don't think anyone's "effectively killed" symbian.

I mean, that's like saying Hitler was "a bit 'having'"
  • I get just under 4 hours on my iPhone with the standard Endomondo, didn't realise the Pro version had a power consumption saver, will give it a try.
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    Endomondo Pro on the iPhone doesn't have the low power mode so IMO is not worth it on this OS.

feature-overview.png
  • gixer5 wrote:

Do they not have the option to turn off the auto-upload feature?

That's what kills the battery on my Nokia. When I turn it off, I can run it all day long with no worries.
  • Anonymous
    gixer5 wrote:

That's what kills the battery on my Nokia. When I turn it off, I can run it all day long with no worries.
    I'm almost certain they do have that option turned off. I told them I always do that on mine, and they all agreed it was the done thing, and also, there's never any "so and so is currently riding" updates on the endomondo website.

Either way, the batteries on iPhones, or android, WP7s etc don't last anywhere near as well as Nokia ones
  • S-M
    S-M Posts: 174
    Bump.

Pro version is only 10p on the android market for the next 24hr :-)
    1999 Specialized FSR Elite MAX Backbone.
    1998 Specialized FSR Ground Control - stripped for parts.
    2011 Boardman Pro HT - SOLD! (low quality, expensive garbage)
  • Why not just use google mytracks?
    Swveeeet¡¡¡
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    S-M wrote:
    Bump.

Pro version is only 10p on the android market for the next 24hr :-)

Isn't for me, it says £2.64
  • bennett_346
    Disregard, i didnt realise but you have to go on the website version of the marketplace, not the in phone one.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Phone version gives it to me for 10p. Just bought Minecraft and Swiftkey for the same amount. I've heard that you have to have the newer version of the market to get it to work.

Unfortunately I bought Endo Pro last week for £2.64.....oh well
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    For anyone looking for Endomondo Pro on the iPhone apparently it's going to be reduced to $0.99 so presumably £0.99 over the next few days.

*EDIT* - it's currently £0.69 in the App Store :-)
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • I bought Pro for £0.10 in the Android Market 10 promotion. The low power option is useful for longer (4 hours plus) rides and the competition features are pretty cool. It should be noted that low power mode makes it much less accurate which is fine for most uses but bear that in mind if you're having a little endo race or tracking a route to show a mate.

I would have bought Pro anyway though to support the developers, I think even the free version is a great app with a great website and community backing it up.
  • gixer5 wrote:

I'm almost certain they do have that option turned off. I told them I always do that on mine, and they all agreed it was the done thing, and also, there's never any "so and so is currently riding" updates on the endomondo website.

Either way, the batteries on iPhones, or android, WP7s etc don't last anywhere near as well as Nokia ones

I agree about the Android, iOS and W7 but my 5800XM would barely get through a day either. Does anyone do a bike friendly power pack or solar panel? I wonder if fitting one vertically between top and down tubes near the head tube junction would get enough light?
  • I've been thinking of grabbing one of these to give a try.

http://www.veho-uk.com/main/shop_detail ... e=overview

Generally If I'm riding to a centre or something I'll charge my iphone in the car so I'm at 99% power before I start riding. Disabling 3G helps with power but i've never put a full days riding in and needed the xtra power.
  • MrGeebs
    MrGeebs Posts: 62
    I've found the pro pretty good, only used the low power option of it and I can confirm that it does work, very well. Normally on a standard 3 hr cycle the battery would be down to like 20%, but with the low power option going it's only at like 80% at the end.
    Also, if anyone's worried about running out of battery juice during their ride just buy a spare battery from ebay, maybe £4-9 in cost and you'll have it forever then. :lol:
    um .. . . . .
  • bennett_346
    I just started using the Pro version and the low power mode is so innacurate it isn't worth using. It just draws straight lines between random points several km away, so your top speed is wrong, distance becomes wrong by so much it isnt worth logging, and forget about reading your position off the map because it only draws data points once every few km rendering it more useless than just turning the thing off.

See my route the other day with this link. You can tell where i switched it to low power because it logs my route home (the same route i went there via) pretty badly:

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/m_obH9H2VDE
  • dhutch
    dhutch Posts: 343
    Im getting about 2hours of endomodo on a fresh charge of my HTC legend, which actually, isnt enough, less if in a really low signal area. Espcially if tis also your phone for getting you out of the shit if you run into problems out on a ride. Hence i now dont use it. Had it on my nokia but couldnt keep it running more than 10-15mins before it exited itself.

Good app, but needs work yet.

Daniel
  • dhutch wrote:
    Im getting about 2hours of endomodo on a fresh charge of my HTC legend, which actually, isnt enough, less if in a really low signal area. Espcially if tis also your phone for getting you out of the shoot if you run into problems out on a ride. Hence i now dont use it. Had it on my nokia but couldnt keep it running more than 10-15mins before it exited itself.

Daniel

That's a problem with your battery, not with the app, I had endomondo running for 5 hours on my Samsung Galaxy Ace, and it still had charge left when I got done with my ride.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    dhutch wrote:
    Im getting about 2hours of endomodo on a fresh charge of my HTC legend, which actually, isnt enough, less if in a really low signal area. Espcially if tis also your phone for getting you out of the shoot if you run into problems out on a ride. Hence i now dont use it. Had it on my nokia but couldnt keep it running more than 10-15mins before it exited itself.

Daniel

Low signal area will affect battery life as your phone will continually "hunt" a stronger signal, I have an HTC Desire and have given up using it for Endomondo cause the GPS receiver is crap. My old Nokia worked all day up to 10hrs. I wont be getting another HTC.
  • Anonymous
    It's not HTC, it's Android (and iPhone) devices in general. These have 1Ghz chips, some with dual and now quad core processors in them. They're over powered in ways, but have to be because of the OS and the demands placed on them to be able to do stuff like play Angry Birds or watch HD quality videos (does a phone *really* need to do this? !). Nokia devices ran extremely low powered chips by comparison and an OS that was designed from the ground up as an embedded OS with very low power and memory requirements. They're great for battery life. However they just don't have the power to do what current smartphones do.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    dynamis_dk wrote:
    I've been thinking of grabbing one of these to give a try.

http://www.veho-uk.com/main/shop_detail ... e=overview

Generally If I'm riding to a centre or something I'll charge my iphone in the car so I'm at 99% power before I start riding. Disabling 3G helps with power but i've never put a full days riding in and needed the xtra power.

I have one for hiking and can definitely reccomend it. Will chanrge my android (HTC Desire) 3 times from 0% to full before it runs out of juice :D