It started so well....

CambsNewbie
CambsNewbie Posts: 564
edited October 2011 in The bottom bracket
Well, I was laying in bed this morning when the phone rang just after 8.. Other half got it, threw it at me and grunted 'it's work'. Turns out I had left my mobile at work last night and someone was thoughtfully calling me at 8am to tell me so!

Decide to cycle in to work to go and get it, a nice 13 miles there in the sunshine, lovely.
Get my phone, pop it in the back of my jersey and decide to head off home the long way to enjoy the weather. So I'm cycling out of Biggleswade, really enjoying myself, rolling fields all around me as far as the eye can see, perfect weather. Having one of those moments when everything comes together..

Go through a couple of small villages and decide to up the pace a bit (in my mind I'm leading out the tour of Biggleswade.. We can all dream!) and come towards a sharp right hander then left hander. Enter it way too fast, suddenly realise I'm running out of road, hit the brakes, rear wheel locks up and next thing I know bike has hit the verge and I'm doing a summersault off the bike and land on my back with the kind of thump only 14 1/2 stone can muster. Luckily(!) I land in a clump of thistles and nettles which break my fall and I'm only winded apart from a few scratches. And hurt pride and the realisation that I'm not Cavendish and should really concentrate more! Oh and I'd like to thank the lady in the car behind me who must have seen what happened, saw me brushing myself down and drove by without even slowing down.. Nice one!

Check the bike and nothing is damaged so jump on and start riding again. Legs are bit wobbly to start with but soon back at it. However in my shaken up state I miss my turning and end up doing a much longer route home than I'd planned which included a 10% hill which went on for ever (and I know thats not much compared to some of you guys but round here it's unheard of!). Finally get home after just over 2 1/4 hrs of cycling and collapse!

So what have I learnt? Always, always concentrate! If you are going to come off then a nice soft verge is the way to do it (although I did loose marks for not landing the summersault). I'd always worried about coming off with my feet clipped in the pedals but now know they will come out. And I've now had my first accident so can tick that off.

And finally.. Although I was dead on my feet when I got home and I've still got a 10hr shift to do later this afternoon I loved every minute of it! Absolutely loved it! Oh, and I've got cycling tan in september!! Who'd have thought!

( I know this is long winded and has no particular point to it, but just wanted to share my post ride euphoria!)

Comments

• One of those days?

I avoid all excess-speed-related problems by being a fat unfit f***er!
  • was it the hairpins just before wrestlingworth?
  • pip123 wrote:
    was it the hairpins just before wrestlingworth?

Yep, driven them a thousand times.. And cycled them a few and still caught me out!

Got a lovely bruise and tender ar$e today!
  • pauldavid
    pauldavid Posts: 392
    Kerguelen wrote:
    One of those days?

We should start a club, I fit that description as well :D:D :shock:
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    pauldavid wrote:
    Kerguelen wrote:
    One of those days?

+1. Except for downhill where gravity is your friend/enemy. I'm a not-so-aero 16st9
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • pauldavid
    pauldavid Posts: 392
    Mouth wrote:
    pauldavid wrote:
    Kerguelen wrote:
    One of those days?

+1. Except for downhill where gravity is your friend/enemy. I'm a not-so-aero 16st9

That's not necessarily a problem assuming your 10' 6" tall, not sure what frame size you'd need then though :shock:
  • The Ors
    The Ors Posts: 130
    pip123 wrote:

?????

OT?

:D
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,868
    The Ors wrote:
    pip123 wrote:

?????

OT?

:D

Perhaps it was a misspelling above and it was a 10 hour shaft rather than shift
  • Filth!
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Sorry about your off.

I had quite a nasty off a couple of years ago (on a wet day on one of those plastic cable covers that a thoughtful workman had placed at 45 degrees across the road) there was a car following me who while I was still lying in the middle of the road bloodied and cruised proceeded to aggressively swerve around me, mounting the kerb on one side and still nearly running my bike over. It was on a pretty deserted bit of road and I remember thinking that if that had been me i'd of at least asked the cyclist if he was ok, even if I was late for work/meeting etc.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Sorry about your off.

I had quite a nasty off a couple of years ago (on a wet day on one of those plastic cable covers that a thoughtful workman had placed at 45 degrees across the road) there was a car following me who while I was still lying in the middle of the road bloodied and cruised proceeded to aggressively swerve around me, mounting the kerb on one side and still nearly running my bike over. It was on a pretty deserted bit of road and I remember thinking that if that had been me i'd of at least asked the cyclist if he was ok, even if I was late for work/meeting etc.

Lol that's outrageous!!? Some people are utter tw@ts.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    DavidJB wrote:
    Sorry about your off.

I think that people just panic in that situation, maybe thinking that they might somehow get the blame even though on this occasion the driver was in no way responsible for my crash.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • DavidJB wrote:
    Sorry about your off.

I think that people just panic in that situation, maybe thinking that they might somehow get the blame even though on this occasion the driver was in no way responsible for my crash.

I always thought human nature was to help someone who is obviously in distress but it seems not nowadays.. People seem scared to get involved