Old frame - headset working loose

Bunneh
Bunneh Posts: 1,329
edited October 2011 in Workshop
I bought a single speed on fleabay around 10 months ago and it's been nothing but a pain in the ass. I have no idea what the make of the bike is, the guy I got it from claimed it's a 1982 Peugeot but I seriously doubt it. The stem is the old quill style, and after I regreased the headset bearings it pretty much gave up the ghost and is constantly working loose. I place the forks into the frame, fit the first bolt and hand tighten it, any tighter and the steering hardly moves. I then add the little washer, and then the locknut. It's fine for a while but then I feel a juddering in the headset and the first bolt has worked loose.

If you place your finger on the top part of the headset, on the nuts, and then rock the bike backwards and forwards with the front brake applied you can feel the fork steerer moving inside the headset. I fitted a shim and that helped for a while but it's only a 2 inch one so it still moves in the headset.

I replaced the headset with a brand new one and still it worked loose. I couple of people have suggested I use Lock Tight, so that's my next option. I'd drop it in the bike shop but with Christmas/Hallows/Bonfire Night all on their way I can't justify spending on such an old bike.

Ideas, work arounds etc would be appreciated.

Ta.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Earlier this year my son and I did up an 80's Peugeot. Replaced the knackered headset with a Cheap Richey replacement, but the threaded steerer lacks the groove in which the lockring washer tab should locate. Using a spacer instead of the washer means it's constantly coming loose.

I used some PTFE plumbers tape on the threads to secure both the headset and the lockring. Seems to be working so far!

Could be a safer option than Locktite.
  • mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    If it is a 1980's Peugeot of undefined origins it is just possible that the fork has a french thread. If this is the case a BSC (english) headset will go on with a tiny bit of slack in the threads and you are doomed to a headset that is forever jumping threads or coming loose. Even french cycle mechanics (the less competent ones) have tried to fit BSC headsets to french forks with the results that you have found.
    Normally a french thread is 25mm x 1 which is very close to the British 25.4mm. Measuring the diameter may show up the difference if the measuring device is precise enough, comparing with a known thread standard may give a better result than trying simply to measure your existing fork (measuring accurately over worn threads is a bit hit and miss). The stem diameter should be 22mm instead of 22.2 but a lot of french forks have enough slop to take an english stem without any problems so that is not a good way of identifying the standard either.
    The best solution: find another fork to fit on fleabay with a proper british thread. Otherwise glue it solid with strong Loctite and forget about it.
    If it isn't a french thread it may just be knackered. Solutions as above.
    You could try hunting for a new french standard headset but they are not common (a bit like rocking horse droppings in fact).
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    keef66 wrote:
    Earlier this year my son and I did up an 80's Peugeot. Replaced the knackered headset with a Cheap Richey replacement, but the threaded steerer lacks the groove in which the lockring washer tab should locate. Using a spacer instead of the washer means it's constantly coming loose.

I used some PTFE plumbers tape on the threads to secure both the headset and the lockring. Seems to be working so far!

Could be a safer option than Locktite.

A solution to the lack of groove for the tab washer is to file a flat on the forks, this was told to me by a well-known frame renovator/builder.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Bunneh
    Cheers guys, I'll try the plumber's tape first and see how I get on. I'll keep my eyes open for a fork on fleabay, never know may get lucky!

Incidently, this is the bike in question:

IMAG0014.jpg
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Your headset arrangement looks strange. How is it set up. Is it a quill extender with a ahead stem and threaded headset. Do us a close-up.
  • Bunneh
    Quill extender with ahead stem attached. I'll grab a photo and post it a little later :)