Rear light

mingmong
mingmong Posts: 542
edited October 2011 in Commuting general
Good afternoon. Lovely commute ahead this afternoon! :D:D:D

My rear light is giving up the ghost. My commute is not/not very well lit in some areas and I need some advise please on a good rear light.

I need it to be bright. My commute is 25 miles e/w (once or twice a week).

My budget is up to £40.

Any shinning examples (sorry) please :?:

Thank you.

Comments

• You can get an LD610 and LD1100 for that - get both

Or two LD610s or two LD1100, but just make sure you get two.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • I have a Cateye Ld1100 and I'm really pleased with it. The fact that it has two rows of lights with so many different modes means that you can have a very eye catching setup.

I compliment it with a rear helmet mounted Trek Ember on strobe and a constant Topeak Headlux on the top of my helmet. I like to be visible!

I wanted to go for the Exposure Flare but the relatively short run times and expensive batteries put me off.

Having been behind some of the Smart lights I can vouch that they are eye-hurtingly bright also.

Let us know what you go for!
  • Blackburn Mars3.0 if you can still find one. (chain reaction have them for £17). The V4 is good, but the three is a lot cheaper. Very bright, waterproof and has flashing modes to make you noticed amongst traffic.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • I have on 610. It's amazing for £12.50 on wiggle. Yesterday I dropped a bottle and stopped to pick it up. It's bloody bright! Not sure where I'd put the second one though?
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Exposure Flare. Beats everything else hands down.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • chaymck
    chaymck Posts: 157
    RSP Astrum can be had for app £13, very bright. While riding chain gangs last winter the other riders made me ride at the back as the light was to bright to follow!
  • +1 for the Cateye LD1100.
    Very visible, longish battery life, waterproof (so far).
    But one of the major pros for me is its visibility from the side. There are 2 leds on each side as well as the 6 or so facing back.
  • Mr P
    Mr P Posts: 548
    +1 RSP Astrum
  • mingmong
    mingmong Posts: 542
    Thanks all.

The Exposure light looks fiddley.

I've had a Smart in the past and it was good.

However, nothing ventured... Going to give the RSP a try.

Thanks again.
  • Avezius
    Avezius Posts: 132
    I was looking for a new rear light last week.

Ended up going for a Smart Lunar R1 - 2 normal led's plus a 1watt LED. Can run with the two minor lights on constant & the (blindingly powerful) main LED flashing - just what I want. Runs on 2xAAA's too - poundland (11 x AAA = £1) will be my friend this winter! ;)

I'm going to Vaseline the joints & add tape to avoid the publicised issues with water ingress - hopefully this will give a little longevity too. they can be had for about £15 delivered online, or a couple of quid cheaper from PlanetX if you buy something else to get free delivery.

Received today & very impressed.

My Cycling Guru has an Exposure flare - these really look slick, but battery & overall cost put me off (but may be in your price range).

FWIW I had the two lights on, side by side in a dark room. The Exposure's "pulse" looks cooler, but the smart just edges the power/brightness. You cannot look into the main light of either lights!
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Exposure. Never needed to buy another light. Bullet proof build, and retina-searingly bright.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Magic shine MJ-818 :shock:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Also worth getting some reflective strips for the seat stays if you don't mind sticking these on your bike. I bought mine from Evans.

I've got them on the seat stays, the head tube and, in the case of my crosser, on both forks, too.

Also on the back of my helmet.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • yenkee
    yenkee Posts: 27
    Does any one have any good experience/recommendations of rear "clip on" lights? i.e. ones that clip onto seat bags, bag covers etc..

I've got cat eye light my seat stay but with the days drawing in I'm thinking that I should get a secondary light as back-up. I've not got room on my seat post because of my bag.

I did have a "clip on" on my bag last winter however lost this on a pot hole, only realising when I got home :( . Also had tried a clip on attachment for the cat eye but this seemed to bounce off quite frequently.
  • cjcp wrote:
    Also on the back of my helmet.

Ouch sounds painful and can it be seen from behind?

Sorry :oops:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    yenkee wrote:
    Does any one have any good experience/recommendations of rear "clip on" lights? i.e. ones that clip onto seat bags, bag covers etc..

I've got cat eye light my seat stay but with the days drawing in I'm thinking that I should get a secondary light as back-up. I've not got room on my seat post because of my bag.

I did have a "clip on" on my bag last winter however lost this on a pot hole, only realising when I got home :( . Also had tried a clip on attachment for the cat eye but this seemed to bounce off quite frequently.

Some lights come with smaller brackets which you can attach to the seat stays.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    The Smart rear lights clip on to bag loops as well as their mounting brackets. I've not lost one in a year and don't expect to. On the other hand, my colleague's exposure fell off when the strap snapped.
    Awaiting the Moon Shield 60 to come back into stock for an upgrade to running two Smarts.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    My secondary light is a Fiber Flare. It gives great all round lighting and I can clip on to my seat stay or to the compression straps on my bag. It's also flexible so you can bend it to make it fit.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    The cateye lights mentioned above the, 1100 and the 610 are both very good lights however I have lost both over the years so the brackets can't be that great having said that I have replaced my tl-ld1100 with another one.

As regards the using the bag loops also be aware that if they are a fabric loop ie not very solid then it will twist on the loop and angle itself slightly downwards. Still noticeable but I'd prefer it straight ahead or angled slightly up. Again having said that as I run 2 sets of lights I'm happy to put up with that too.

I also have the R2. There are complaints that the R1 and R2 are susceptible to water ingress which will kill the light. I so far haven't experienced that problem and I used most of last winter and over the last couple of weeks.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Still have a smart R1 - no water problems also a Smaert R2 which is very bright on full bright mode. Knog is a very good second light , I have one clipped around teh back of my skid lid which works a treat, plus on the the front for a "be seen" light.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem