giant pig

dode927
dode927 Posts: 11
edited November 2011 in The workshop
hi i am using a giant shumacher mtb as my commuter / winter bike ive put swalbe city jet tyres on it, can anybody advise me which lighter wheels i could use or any other tweeks that would make the pig a wee bit easier to ride, cheers

Comments

• If you've got the money, I'd get some narrower wheels, but you're probably looking at least £100 and you've also got to think about whether the chain will bet more worn and not fit the cassette on your 'summer' wheels. If you have the room, consider getting a 2nd hand winter / commuting bike. Around town, I use my wife's old MTB (no suspension) with some Specilized Fatboy tyres I found in a skip, chopped down handlebars and cheap 'Dirt Monkey' mudguards from Halfords. Thieves don't look at it and its much quicker than my MTB around town.
  • Wheels are probably the only thing that will make a noticeable difference to your ride. It's quite a heavy bike so any weight saving will probably go unnoticed and will be just throwing money down the drain.
    I reckon your best options are this - Accept that it's a heavy bike and use this to increase your strength over the winter. When you return to your summer bike you'll feel like a cycling god and give THE SCHLEKS a run for their money. Or - save the £100 you were going to spend on wheels and use it to partly fund a cross type bike or city bike such as this one. http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 333c018336
    There's warp speed - then there's Storck Speed