Aldi Cycling Winter Kit

whitestar1
whitestar1 Posts: 530
edited September 2011 in Commuting general
Hi All man am I disapointed! Went to Aldi with my shopping list for Winter jacket, trousers, shirts and gloves. They were mostly gone at 19:00! Got only the jacket and gloves. I must say for £20 it is ok, I am happy with it. Will have to get base layer to go with it. Not a single trouser left. Is it that good?
Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
Cube Agree Pro 2014
Triban 7 2013
RockRider 8.0 2011
http://www.whitestar1.co.uk

Comments

• Try a different branch.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Same in Doncaster - anything in a medium size has gone!

If only was a dwarf or a fat git!
  • Try a different branch.

This, I generally found stuff from ALDI died very quickly hence splashing out £65 on cycling trousers alone from a well know Scottish brand of cycle clothing.

Be good to report what riding your doing and how long it lasts however, had a flick through you're blog so keep us posted :)
  • rodgers73 wrote:
    Same in Doncaster - anything in a medium size has gone!

If only was a dwarf or a fat git!

Funny, loads of medium left in my local, other sizes virtually sold out. Picked up the "merino" top, which turns out to be 70% acrylic . . . THE most itchy thing i've ever worn - going straight back tomorrow. Then i'm going to shell out for a decent REAL merino top. My missus said 'Where'd you buy it?' then 'What do you expect . . ' when I told her.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Apparently (I sent the wife because I was at work) there were loads of medium and large things in the Cannock store, I got the last small jacket which I think is actually really nice. The winter jersey is quite light but I suppose you're unlikely to wear it on it's own if it's really gold. With a decent baselayer it should be good down to about 5 degrees. The pockets are a major improvemnet on the older stuff I've got.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    This, I generally found stuff from ALDI died very quickly hence splashing out £65 on cycling trousers alone from a well know Scottish brand of cycle clothing.

Odd - my Aldi stuff seems pretty indestructable. I've probably covered about 12000 commuting miles in Aldi stuff and the only obvious concern is the stitching on the cuffs of the long sleeve jerseys. But I've not had any probs with the most recent ones I've had of those.
    Funny, loads of medium left in my local, other sizes virtually sold out. Picked up the "merino" top, which turns out to be 70% acrylic . . . THE most itchy thing i've ever worn - going straight back tomorrow. Then i'm going to shell out for a decent REAL merino top. My missus said 'Where'd you buy it?' then 'What do you expect . . ' when I told her.

If it's like the one I got last year, it just needs a wash. It's actually pretty good.
    Faster than a tent.......