So following my accident of a 6 weeks ago...

spasypaddy
spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
Hit and run. whiplash, road rash, new helmet, jersey. usual palaver

Since them the police have lost internally the log book for my case. not impressed.

levenes solicitors have told me that because they cant sue anyone they would process it via the Motor Insurers Bureau the gentleman very kindly told me that if he did that it would cost me 30% of any settlement and he'd advise me to just do it myself as its just an online form.

So i've just done that. Here's hoping something comes of it.

Titanium winter frame...

Comments

• spasypaddy
    haha i already have a CX bike but seeing that has disc brakes i may well have to consider it.

enigma etape or a sabbath
  • spasypaddy wrote:
    Since them the police have lost internally the log book for my case. not impressed.

That is a fob-off, it's disgraceful and I wouldn't accept it.

I am a teacher. I sometimes misplace kids' coursework. I can either make the student do it again, or I can turn the school upside down until I find it. Guess what? I take responsibility for myself and find the work rather than make the student pay for my mistake. The police should do the same.

There are too many stories out there about the police not doing their jobs properly. We shouldn't accept it.

By the way, sorry to hear about your accident, hope you're recovering well and that you eventually get some recompense for your losses.
  • spasypaddy
    i agree its disgusting that they've lost the paperwork but the paperwork was just a verbal account of the accident from my description as i didnt get witness details and the car drove off and noone got the number plate.

so yes its disgraceful that the paperwork has gone missing but it wouldnt change the outcome unfortunately.
  • spasypaddy wrote:
    levenes solicitors have told me that because they cant sue anyone they would process it via the Motor Insurers Bureau the gentleman very kindly told me that if he did that it would cost me 30% of any settlement and he'd advise me to just do it myself as its just an online form.

I've had to go through the MIB as something similar happened to me a couple months back. Got doored by a passenger getting out when car was in a line of traffic. Car drove off before anyone could get license plate. MIB have been pretty good so far. They send a private investigator round to take a statement then he goes off and investigates. The police ony send letters to investigate incidents like this and if they don't get a reply for whatever reason they close the case (as they have just done to mine). I can understand as they probably have more important serious crime to allocate manpower to so not sure if MIB can get them involved again. PM me if you want updates on MIB input.
  • spasypaddy
    cheers, glad to hear it seems relatively straight forward!

heres hoping for a winter frame :P