1st Sportive suggestions please - South West England 2012

Xcelerator
Xcelerator Posts: 35
Hi,

I took up cycling this summer and am thinking of working towards entering a Sportive next year, maybe around May or early June so I have time to train after the winter.

Can anyone suggest any good ones, probably 100km, in the South or South West of England? Also what sort of training regime would I need?

I am 41. Longest ride so far - 30 miles in 2hrs 3mins (mainly flat).

Many thanks
Giant Defy 2
Giant Defy Composite 1

Comments

• 3Pears
    3Pears Posts: 174
    Hi Xcelerator
    I'm sure others will advise on type of training but I would highly recommend the White Horse Challenge late April. Need to be on the ball mind as it sells out very quickly :P

http://www.whitehorsechallenge.com/index.html
  • The Dartmoor Classic will run last Sunday in June (I think - or possibly July 1st?) and it seems to get rave reviews from those who take part. There is a 100km or 100mile option and it's a little more hilly than most. I haven't done it myself as I didn't sign up in time and sells out months ahead of the event; I won't make that mistake again - entries open on 31st Oct.

I don't think most people would have any problem completing a 100km sportive if you make a reasonable attempt to get yourself in shape. I started road cycling early in the summer too (having switched from MTB) and I've completed four sportives ranging from 124km to 160km and I have another two coming up in the next month.

Just get some miles in between now and then, you'll be surprised at how quickly your fitness improves. Progressively build up the miles and try to focus on endurance rather than speed. I find keeping an accurate record of your times & distances is a good motivator - i bought a Gramin GPS/cycle computer to help with this and it's been a great investment.

You could get a turbo trainer for the winter if you don't fancy riding in the dark / wet, but in my view they are better for short intense training sessions and it's hard to remain focussed if you try to do longer endurance efforts on them. I use a turbo during the week and I'll try to get out and ride on the roads at weekends.

Good luck, if you are ever down south devon direction and fancy a ride send me a PM.
  • I did my first sportive earlier this year, the New Forest Rattler, I found it a good introduction to sportives, well organised, good course, well signed, and for a first sportive its quite a nice gentle course as there's not many hills in the New Forest.
  • The Kilo To Go / Wiggle - Cornwall Tor usually takes place early April. It attracts 1000+ and is well organised. Starting in Bodmin it takes you up to the North Coast for some stunning scenery and tough climbs, with choices of 100k (more like 75miles) and 100 miles+.

The Dartmoor Classic is excellent too and well attended with over 2000 riders.

As for training you could have a very specific program are you could just put the miles in and regular. Cycle as much as you can and eat a healthy diet to avoid being overweight. What ever you do just enjoy it and see any improvement as an achievement to build upon.
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • Thanks all for your replies - much appreciated. I'll check out the routes of the events suggested.
    I find keeping an accurate record of your times & distances is a good motivator - i bought a Gramin GPS/cycle computer to help with this and it's been a great investment.

@Pumpkin Positive - I totally agree. I am currently using iPhone/Runkeeper. Out of interest which Garmin did you get? I am thinking of getting the Edge 500 with HR/Cadence bundle.
    Giant Defy 2
    Giant Defy Composite 1
  • mustol
    mustol Posts: 134
    Another vote for Cornwall Tor - approx 2nd weekend in April (fantastic weather this year!). There are distances of 44, 73 and 103 miles - the 44 mile was cheaper to enter this year. It was the first sportive that I entered and was a great introduction. It's a very hilly 44 miles, but no killer climbs. However, if you fancy the 73, it includes the fearsome Millook. It's probably the one I'll be doing to start my season off next year. Whichever one you choose - just take it steady and enjoy.
    :lol:
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    On the 22nd of April there are a bunch of Audax rides from Bishops Lydeard nr Taunton.

Distances of 64,100,110 and 150 are available. These are organised by Dave "Dustman" Saunders of the Wellington Wheelers. They usually attract a good field.

Details will be on the AUK website after Nov 1st when next years events are finalised
  • Xcelerator - I bought the Edge 800 performance / navigation bundle. I find the Navigation a bit flakey, but from a performance point of view it's superb.