Dolan Preffisio (Ribble Audax) Sizing

indysmith
indysmith Posts: 276
edited October 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi,
I'm planning on purchasing a Dolan Preffisio for winter training, but unfortunately I'm not able to try one before I buy and will have to order it online.
I'm a bit between sizes and I'd appreciate some advice as to whether to go for the 52 or 54.

I have my measurements
YourMeasurements.jpg

My competitivecyclist.com recommended fits
BikeFit.jpg

and the Preffisio geometry table
Dolan-Preffisio-Road-Bike-Rival-Askium.jpg

Thanks very much for any help!
Richard

Comments

• Nobody?
    Dolans just seem to have a longer top tube to seat tube ratio than most road bike manufacturers.
    I can't figure out if they're supposed to be ridden with a shorter seat tube than usual or with a longer top tube than usual...
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I bought one a few months ago. They're the same as the Ribble Winter bikes. You're right about the geometry, they have a longish top tube. I would normlly ride a 52cm bike, but have a 50cm Preffisio. I'm 5'7" and used to have a 52 ribble, which I found a tad reachy.

At a guess, I'd say go for a 52, if you'll be ok with the saddle to bar drop. They have short head tubes as well.

Hope this helps.
  • Thanks so much for the input! It's interesting that you've switched down to the smaller size.
    Do you find the bike comfortable for longer rides?
    My concern, as you said, is the saddle to bar drop.
    I don't suppose you could post a picture of your bike as it's set up could you?
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    edited September 2011
    I'm 5'9 and have a 54 which fits well. The top tube is long but a 100mm stem seems right. The head tube is small so I have a few spacers fitted. I find the bike comfortable enough for long rides. Fitting full mudguards was a pain with 25mm tyres. I had to make some stainless brackets to fit the rear guard. Even with 23mm tyres, I would imagine that there is still not that much clearance.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I find it perfectly comfortable, fit-wise. Has about 15cm of post showing and I use one 5mm spacer, with a 100mm stem. Did consider using 25mm tyres, but as mentioned above, it would be tight.
  • Cheers for the info jermas. I'm not too worried about mudguard clearance - I prefer to ride on 23mm tyres, which is what it comes with (complete with guards).

Still unsure about the size... The Ribble bikebuilder guide (inside leg x 0.69 = top tube) is recommending a size 56!
    I shall call Mr. Dolan on Monday when he's back from the Cycle show.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    I'm almost 5' 10" and have a 56cm Ribble Winter Audax. It suited me well for nearly 3 years but when I upgraded to a Gran Fondo Ribble suggested a 54cm.

After riding the GF for 6 months I took the Audax to France on holiday and found it a long reach (stem is 110mm). Obviously I adjusted to the smaller GF.

I am now about to winter the GF and use the Audax until about March but I am putting a shorter stem on it to make it more like the GF.

Not sure this really helps you but at 172cm I would guess the 56cm would be too big and that the 54cm might be about right.
  • I'm a shade under 6ft and have the 56cm. I have a 58cm cube and the horizontal top tube length is the same. The front end is low, on my cube I have no spacers, on the Dolan I have 40mm worth and its still a good 20mm lower. Nice bike though, I got the frameset off ebay for £210 delivered which I was quite happy with.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    Ribble have changed the way they measure their winter/audax frame- so they told me in a recent email. I have a 56cm one bought in 2008 (6'tall,35" inside leg)

BUT they say the equivalent frame size for me in the PRESENT range is 60cm as it is now a centre to top measurement NOT centre to centre, as it was before.

So worth double checking this before ordering.
  • pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    I have just made one up. I went with the 62cm because I ride a 590mm - 593mm top tube length / with a 13cm stem.

I have 24c Pave tires and the clearance is tight with mudguards.
    Paul
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Looking at the info. it seems like an awfully long top tube and short head tube for a winter trainer. I'd guess drop a size and use plenty of spaces but in fairness I don't have one.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.