Want to ride to work but on a tight budget + outside storage

jamin100
jamin100 Posts: 72
edited September 2011 in Commuting general
Hi everyone,

Joined this forum as im looking for some advice.
Im 28 6ft and 210lbs (so pretty unfit :( )
I used to go swimming 4 times a week until the local pool closed for refurbishment. I'd swim for about an hour each morning before work. Well since that has stopped i am feeling myself getting unfitter by the day. I play squash once a week but thats it.

I'd like to try riding to work but firstly dont know if i'd make it and secondly dont have a bike.
My commute would be 10 miles each way. I have to be in work at 730am and leave at 4pm.

obviously I'd only attempt this when i felt ready and I think after I had brought my fitness level up a bit.

On the bike front, I think id want a hybrid. I had racing style bikes as a child but didn't really get on with them. My budget for buying a bike is really low for now until I can prove to my other half that im actually saving money by not using the car.

I have been looking at the Claud Butler Urban 200 on eBay. There is a nice one on there at the moment for £150. This is the top of my budget and couldn't afford any more.

Storage. Obviusly it would be better to store a bike inside but I have 3 young children so this isnt possible. The side passage of our house is pretty secure and i'd be able to store the nike there no problem. I'd sill lock the bike to the wall for added security. My question though is how can i protect the bike from the elements if its being kept outside.

In the snow & ice etc when i wouldnt be using the bike it can go in my parents garrage.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ben

Comments

• gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    jamin100 wrote:
    Hi e

Storage. Obviusly it would be better to store a bike inside but I have 3 young children so this isnt possible. The side passage of our house is pretty secure and i'd be able to store the nike there no problem. I'd sill lock the bike to the wall for added security. My question though is how can i protect the bike from the elements if its being kept outside.

In the snow & ice etc when i wouldnt be using the bike it can go in my parents garrage.

I use a cover to protect 3 of the family's bikes that are stored outside; these are double and triple locked to a ring set in a concrete post that you cant get to unless you remove all the bikes.

Why stop for the ice and snow? it's usually (based on last 2 winters) more reliable on a bike than a car.
  • If it's in reasonably regular use (i.e. not being left alone for months at a time), any reasonably sturdy waterproof covering should do fine. I'm sure you can buy purpose-made bike covers, or you could just use a spare tarp or plastic sheet. As long as it keeps the rain off and doesn't get blown away by the wind, it'll do the job.
  • You will only save money if you never, under any circumstances ever look at wiggle.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    You will only save money if you never, under any circumstances ever look at wiggle.

+1
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • You will only save money if you never, under any circumstances ever look at wiggle.

So right!!!
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk
  • I started out at 110Kg in April riding 10 miles per day every day communte to work. I exercise every other day - just push ups, situps, abs. Dont miss it ever. I am now 84Kg with great looking toning. You wont know you can do it until you try it. I actally went in the deep end. Barrowed the money almost paid it back now by using the patrol money saved. Got a £400 bike with £150 clothes and other stuff. I have spent about another £100 since on bike stuff. I mostly shop at Decathlon and Aldi. They are cheap compared to others. Now I am looking the best ever - can take pictures now! Feeling good, doing physical stuff I was only dreaming about begining of April.

Decathlon is the best place to get a cheap bike along with supreb customer service. I know, I am always there - got a superstore on my communte. There training bike goes for £300 but the specs are good for the money. With a tight budget the Rockrider 5.1 http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-51-c1-2011-id_8167116.html
    might be more your bet. The Gadget Show chose the Rockrider 5.0 as one of the best cheap mountain bikes in 2010 and thats saying something at £99!
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    2x10 miles is a nice distance to ride every day, long enough to keep fit but not too long to be a total time suck. Your average travelling speed will probably be around 12mph,
    You need a certain base level of quality to ride this distance every day. The Claud Butler 200 is probably up to the task but at this level in the market, a little extra buys a lot more biike.
    You may need to replace worn components such as tyres, chain, transmission cogs and brake blocks. If the bike is very worn, its best to look elsewhere.
    I would replace the tyres with something highly puncture-resistant, this is the major cause of being late for work for cyclists. I found that my timekeeping as a cycle commuter was much better than for public transport or drivers.
    Bike commuting in snow and ice is possible but much safer if you use studded tyres. i made some using cheap knobbly tyres and self tapping screws. it worked fine for the 3-4 weeks of slippery weather we had last year.

You will need some accessories: Luggage rack, bag, mudguards, lights, repir kit, helmet.
    You may need some sports clothing and poor weather kit: Aldi is your best friend here. Wiggle, as stated, will be your nemesis. If you amortize the cost of a bike over 5 years, the savings over any other way of getting to work are astounding and will pay for your bike upgrades. A recent Grauniad discussion on bike commuting stated that spending £500 on a commuter bike was a luxury few could afford: that's not what the maths tells me.
    I kept an old steel racer outside 24/7 for 2 years in a coastal town with no particular ill effects. As long as you prep the bike and keep metal greased/waxed as appropriate it wont rust or degrade.
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    when debating with your wife over the cost of the bike stuff don't forget to include the cost of the 4 weekly swims - must be at leat £10 per week (near my work the pool is about £4.50 per session, whilst brockwell lido is £2.70 for early morning swims). This is approx £500 per year!
  • I have to keep my bike outside and have been using the Bikehut cover from halfords. Really is an excellent cover and can't recommend it high enough. I use the multi bike version.

I've only started commuting by bike in the last month. Do 12 miles each way on flat roads and takes me on average an hour as there's always a coastal wind blowing in my face. I'm 46, 6ft2" and 228lbs. Haven't done much exercise for a while but am really loving the cycling now and feel much better for it.

Build up gradually and you'll be fine, and think of the petrol you'll save which will easily cover the costs of the bike and kit :wink:

I'd have been using a gallon every 2 days in the car, so that's about £15 in fuel saved every week, so at least £50 saved this month.

I'm using a Voodoo Marasa hybrid and love it, but a bit over your budget. You will have to change the tyres on cheaper bikes due to their rubbish puncture resistance, so allow £40-£50 for this. Cheap kit is still good kit. I have some padded shorts from Decathlon and use their cheap Kangol running shirts which are vented and great for cycling.
  • wow, thanks for the replies everyone.
    Defiantly going to try and give this ago. Ive borrowed a cheap £80 full suspension bike from a friend which I know isnt ideal but i'll ride it too and from work on Monday and see if i like it.

Just got to get some lights as i'll be setting out at around 615am to be in work for 730-745 ish hopefully
  • jamin100 wrote:
    wow, thanks for the replies everyone.
    Defiantly going to try and give this ago. Ive borrowed a cheap £80 full suspension bike from a friend which I know isnt ideal but i'll ride it too and from work on Monday and see if i like it.

Just got to get some lights as i'll be setting out at around 615am to be in work for 730-745 ish hopefully

If you have a large tesco's near you have a check in there as they sell cheap & functional lights good enough for dim mornings.

if you do get into it, do not fall into the buy cheap buy twice trap - it certainly applies to many of the cheaper bikes.
  • Yeh thanks I'll have a look this weekend.
    No I defiantly wont be buying a suspension bike thats for sure. I like the look of the Claud Butler Urban 200 which seems to be around £150 2nd hand which is about my price range.
  • jamin100 wrote:
    wow, thanks for the replies everyone.

You need to factor in time for getting changed and showering.

I commute 12 miles each way and leave at about x:15 to get into work at x+1:00 (usually earlier) to be at my desk for x+1:30 after having a shower

You need to organise yourself as well - there's more to cycle commuting than just getting on a bike and going.

If you get all the peripheral stuff sorted, it makes the commute much easier and hassle free.

(leaving clothes / shower kit at work, carrying only the essentials, having something to carry the stuff in, etc)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • I work in a school so we dont have showers :(
    However I plan on taking clean clothes, deodrant and a towel. I have my own air conditioned office so I can change and cool down in there hopefully.

Not much else I can do apart from that
  • jamin100 wrote:
    I work in a school so we dont have showers :(
    However I plan on taking clean clothes, deodrant and a towel. I have my own air conditioned office so I can change and cool down in there hopefully.

Not much else I can do apart from that

Baby Wipes and a clean towel/ deodorant. & talc each day

Leave a suit and cleaning stuff at the office and bring in just a clean shirt, undies and socks.

Don't knock baby wipes :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • lol thanks. I have 3 kids so plenty of baby wipes :):)
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    jamin100 wrote:
    I have my own air conditioned office so I can change and cool down in there hopefully.

Just make sure you lock the door, and dont stand by the window - or it could be embarrasing if someone bursts in at the wrong moment, or all the kids are watching from the playground!