Looking for B&B's near Afan

Stevo_666
Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459
edited October 2011 in Routes
We're off to sunny Wales the middle of next month for a crack at Afan :)

Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent B&B/guest house/small hotel type accommodation within reasonable driving distance of Afan? Preferably with a few creature comforts and somewhere that you can lock the bike up or at least don't have to worry about leaving the bike in the back of the car overnight.

PS: I'm not interested in campsites, don't have a tent.
"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    check out the afan lodge hotel, not stayed there myself as i'm fairly local but all the people i know who have stayed there have given it good reviews :D

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Revi ... Wales.html

their website doesn't seem to be working for some reason :?
  • Stevo_666
    Cheers Kev, looking at that Tripadvisor it looks like it fits the bill. Looking forward to getting some real MTB'ing in, none of this flat stuff we have here in the SE :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • welshkev
    it's right in between the 2 centres of afan and glyncorrwg, easily ridable to either :D
  • Stevo_666
    welshkev wrote:
    it's right in between the 2 centres of afan and glyncorrwg, easily ridable to either :D
    Unfortunately I can't do a 'double header' this time, but will put Glyncorrwg on the hit list, ta :) Want to do Brechfa after that as did some of the green with the kid last year but the bits of the red/black I saw looked damn good fun.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you are only doing one, do Whites at Glyncorrwg. The down is much longer and better than The Wall. The up is a bit harder and more technical, but The Wall is mainly fireroad up.
    Brechfa is best of the lot. The red is sort of swoopy and bermy, which get bigger and bigger as you get lower. Great fun.
    IMO.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Last year we stayed at the Bryn Teg B&B in Cymmer. £28 gets you a decent room, a good breakfast, bike wash and lock-up. Apparently there's also an off-road route up to the Afan trailhead if need be!

+ for Whites. You can also do the White's climb, the White's Black loop and then head up and hit the Skyline descent (which I think is still be open as it's alongside the White's climb - but best check as Skyline is closed or is due to close).
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Stevo_666
    Thanks for the tips gents, will do a bit of research.
  • welshkev
    cooldad wrote:
    If you are only doing one, do Whites at Glyncorrwg. The down is much longer and better than The Wall. .

no it's not, the wall is better :lol:
  • starkee
    starkee Posts: 143
    +1 for Afan lodge. Just returned from there ! Parked up on the thursday, and didnt use the cars untill we came home on the sunday ! Has everthing you need ( Cheap beer and very nice food ) and is geared towards MTBikers. The trails are all accesable from the bottom of the car park. Well worth a vist.
  • Stevo_666
    Thanks - only slight problem is the Afan Lodge doesn't have the rooms availalbe for the date we want so we've booked into a small hotel/B&B in Aberdare. Cheers for the tips 8)