Which first serous bike max £1200?

ianbar
ianbar Posts: 1,354
edited October 2011 in Road buying advice
Hello, after just having my first bike nicked I am now looking at replacements. I dont think I should go over £1200ish less obviously if possible. Not looking to race but will do plenty of sportives. Main problem is there does not seem a bad bike out there so not only no obvious choice too buy but to rule out either!
I am 6'3 and 15st and would like help in the climbs etc but I will stay with a compact. Carbon would be nice but not essential. I have seen a few like cannondale caad 8 and trek 1.5.(I think it was) but really would like some extra advice and ideas, cheers
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

Comments

• Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • Hi, if carbon is an option then opt for a reputable manufacturer. There is little point getting the cheapest carbon bike available because it will be flexy and wont give you the benefits that carbon should.

This means you may be looking at a 2011 bike - something like a scott cr1 could be had for circa £1200 or for 2012 you could get a felt z6 for £1275. Full carbon, 10 speed shimano....

Aluminium would get you toward something like a scott speedster s20 - full 105, very good frame and fork combination at £1200 ish.

Go to various shops and try out their options, find out what after sales services you get because this has value too. Most lbs' would want to develop a positive relationship with a new customer.
  • ianbar
    thank you, seen the scott speedster s20 online £999 will be looking at lbs next couple of days. i think going carbon is out of the quesion, think would like too keep under £1000 ideally. have been looking at bianchi and willer for that kind of price.
    enigma esprit
  • ianbar
    another thing, what kind and how big a differance would having 105 over tiagra groupset have?
    enigma esprit
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Barely noticeable especially if it's the new Tiagra 10 speed groupset.
  • ianbar
    hmmm interesting, thanks for that. is there going to be any real difference between spending say £850 and £1100? may sound a silly question i know.
    enigma esprit
  • The difference between tiagra and 105 wouldn't be massive. Both will do a good job if looked after. My opinion is that the levers make the biggest difference as this is your interface with them so if you have a big preference to one over the other then go fot that. I'd be tempted with your budget to go for an alu frame with carbon forks and seat post, also rear triangle if possible. That way you'd get a great alu frame with the benefits of carbon to absorb a bit of vibration.
  • I've just had a quick nose around and with your budget I would undoubtedly buy this; http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=58229 but then that's just so I could look at it! And that depends on what size you want as they are only available in a 56.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    ianbar wrote:
    thank you, seen the scott speedster s20 online £999 will be looking at lbs next couple of days. i think going carbon is out of the quesion, think would like too keep under £1000 ideally. have been looking at bianchi and willer for that kind of price.

Reputable carbon 10 speed and £100 change over the Speedster.......
    (or same price for Tiagra 9 speed)

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/specialed ... ERC&bike=1
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ianbar
    i forgot about ribble! as good as it sounds (and looks) i dont feel confident buying without seeing the bike nor really knowing enough about componants etc to buy one. thank you for the idea though.
    enigma esprit
  • ianbar
    keith 1983, sorry didnt realise you had posted again. i would need bigger than 56, atleast a 58 really. i used to love pinarello but from reading up they always sound poor value for money?? i have just found it as a 58 on wiggle and for £899!
    enigma esprit
  • difference between tiagra and 105 - tiagra cables are as old 105 would have been (visible) whereas newer 105 are integrated/hidden.

Im sorry, I meant the 2012 scott s20 which is online at evans for £1299 but most lbs' will do it for £1250.
  • caad10 105 - £945 A steal for the money. I nearly went for the Ultegra 105 over the TCR I got.

Or http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/122549.html

Same frame I have but witt lower groupset. really nice bike, I chose this over the Supersix and FP2 after trying both.
  • ianbar
    wooo caad 10, not seen it at that price, thats an option!
    as fot giant i dont mind them but they dont flick my switch enough, i have looked at that one before as it is one of the nicer ones
    enigma esprit
  • ianbar
    quite taken by Cinelli 2011 Experience Veloce, mainly for the way it looks if honest!
    enigma esprit
  • We all have our favorites and brand loyalty which may/may not suit everyone. Cannot beat the following article for a broad look at your price bracket. Will be interested to hear what you go for in the end.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/b ... 000-29719/
  • ianbar
    that is a brilliant article! not read it properly yet but at a glance very interesting, thank you. will let you know how i progress
    enigma esprit
  • If it was me I'd probably try and find a Cube and Cannondale stockist and have a trial ride. If you can push the budget up to £1400 I have seen a 2011 Cannondale Super6 discounted from £1900; the Super6 won best bike in 2010 and was 2nd this year.