Considering a Carradice SQR bag

geordiefella
geordiefella Posts: 302
edited October 2013 in Commuting general
Got a 30 mile round trip 4 days a week.
Used a Carradice Barley with Carradice Support for touring previously - Poor / not handy for taking off.

Use a courier bag daily for the last 3 years. Now considering a Carradice SQR Tour, Slim or Glentress seatpost bag so as to be more airy on the bike and less hot on the back and all that.

Anyone got anything to say about that? particularly if you use the SQR system for commuting obviously.
Cannondale BadBoy Rohloff
Cannondale SuperSix / 11sp Chorus
Ridley Excalibur / 10sp Centaur
Steel Marin Bear Valley SE
Twitter @roadbikedave

Comments

• Have used the SQR Tour bag for commuting for a number of years and also use the bag for light touring as well. I cannot rate it highly enough. You hardly know its there even when fully packed and it is surprisingly roomy. Nothing has ever got wet and I commute a similar distance to yourself and ride in all weathers. And yes you simply lift it on and off and away you go. Some time back they were in short supply, but they do come up second hand on the CTC web site occasionly, but even if you end up paying top wack, they are worth the investment.

steve
  • I have the Prima Maxi, smaller than the SQR, for long day rides

When it's full, I can feel a fishtail effect - as if if it's swaying around.

I've heard SQR users say the same, but the ones who use theirs daily say they get used to it quickly.
  • I've been using the SQR Tour for the past year for daily commutes and I would highly recommended.

I have used it for climbing Ditchling Beacon and the Dunwich Dynamo and you hardly notice it's there!

The two outer pockets are very useful for quick access to your puncture repair kits or even food.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Have you looked at using the Bagman support with quick release? I.e. keep the Barley and swap the support.

I use a Bagman support with my Barley and it's really easy to take the bag on and off if you ever have to.

Just another option for you!
  • Bi50N
    Bi50N Posts: 87
    I can recommend the Altura Aero Post:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/altura-aero-post-pack/

Here's the review I posted on Wiggle for it:
    "I bought this product because I was looking for a very specific solution to a problem, and this was the best I could find.

I have two bikes - a hub geared cross with pannier racks that I use as a commuter and light tourer, and a single-speed for riding around London.

I wanted to keep the SS as clean looking as possible, so have been using a courier bag to carry locks, lights, puncture kit etc.

With summer upon us, I was finding that riding any distance with my shoulder bag was leaving me with a sweaty back unless I slowed my pace to a crawl. Which is not, to be fair, in my nature. All the saddle bags I'd seen were too small to fit a lock, so this Altura was pretty much the only thing I could find that would carry everything I needed.

It fits to the seat post with a very simple click-in system. Once attached, it feels very stable. The main compartment is big enough for my Abus cable lock, kryponite cable, pump, inner tube, camera and waterproof. Two side pockets can take wallet, phone etc if I'm riding in civies with shallow pockets.

I really like how you can access the entire contents without leaving the saddle - the double zip that opens the main compartment has a fabric handle that is easy to grab. As someone who likes to stop and take photos, this is really useful. Much easer than trying to access a bag or pannier

In fact, I found this so practical that when I went on a recent mini tour on the hub gear, I took this as well as panniers - I didn't need the space, but it was great to keep all my immediate stuff to hand, and being able to reach and put on my waterproof in seconds was a life saver when caught on a downpour on Romney marsh.

It's water resistant, not waterproof like my Fuse panniers, but it survived said 20 minute shower.

It does not affect handling that much, and as it's tucked behind you, creates very little drag

Just a few cons -
    You need a long seat post to accommodate it
    You will not be able to fit a light to the seatpost as well - the pack obscures the light, so you would need a specially suited rear light
    For the space provided, it's quite heavy, and not the most stylish / easy thing to carry around when off the bike

That said, it is a sturdy, well made, and very practical product that met the exact need I had of it. Maybe it will suit yours too.

Two images - one attached to the tourer with panniers too, and one on its own from the same trip when I was able to ditch the panniers and just take essentials"
  • tomb353
    tomb353 Posts: 196
    how much cake are you looking to carry exactly?
    vendor of bicycle baskets & other stuff www.tynebicycle.co.uk
    www.tynebicycle.co.uk/blog
    Kinesis Tripster
    Gazelle NY Cab
    Surly Steamroller
    Cannondale F100
  • Lycra Man
    Lycra Man Posts: 141
    I have a Carradice Camper Longflap, attached to an SQR mount. I use it for my daily commute, and on longer day and day+ Audax rides.

The big pocket takes tubes, food, clothing, a*se cream and so on. Right pocket has rainproof jacket. Left pocekt has multitool, tyre levers and other tools, plus cable lock.

It takes about 10 seconds to mount and dismount the bag, which has a carry handle bult in. It does not have a shouilder strap for prolonged carrying, and the metal SQR mount sticks out a bit, so I have it away from me rather than banging into my legs.

It works very well for me on my present bike which cannot take a rack. I think a rack is better, and have one on my previous bike, and then used a Creek to Peak Pioneer expanding rack bag.

Just my opinion.

Lycra Man
    FCN7 - 1 for SPDs = FCN6
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I've got a vaude off road bag, similar to the altura aero post and it's great. I'd definitly go for the SQR though if I was buying again. The vaude and Altura ones are just a little bit too small. Mine is about 12 litres and could be a bit full in changable conditions. The advantage I suppose is that I could ram my jersey pockets with stuff :D
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • The SQR bag is fantastic, not a purchase you will regret.

I use mine for touring but its on and off the bike at least 3 times a day during that time and incredibly easy to do so. I took two weeks worth of stuff in it so I am sure there is enough room for commuting. Its stable on the bike, never had the feeling it was trying to take over. Its fairly waterproof although after 4 - 5 hours in the rain my things were damp....

I would buy another one again!

M
  • this is an old post- but for anyone considering a carradice sqr- pay particular attention to the clamps (which look worrying just like plumbers conduit clamps)- they have a tendency to spring apart under moderate pressure.

Carradice are great at sending out more of the same- but not interested in solving the problem

shame- as the bags themselves are very nice.
  • Well, I've had my SQR Slim for over 6 years and it's used 2-4 hours a day, 3 to 5 days a week, and no problem whatsoever with the clamp, nor with bag itself, other than it being slightly more faded than it used to be.

Great commuting bag.

And no, I don't have any connection with Carradice.
  • they have been selling them long enough that i am sure most are fine- you might be surprised if you took yours off and looked at the clamps- as long as they are mega tight when they fail it should not affect things that much

its just very dissapointing to have a problem and for it to be dismissed

and for the record- the bags are nice, I am very pro British in my purchasing
  • I've never loosened the clamp or taken it off.

Methinks I'll leave it that way :)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    they have been selling them long enough that i am sure most are fine- you might be surprised if you took yours off and looked at the clamps- as long as they are mega tight when they fail it should not affect things that much

Exactly how big is your sample set of 'tendency to spring open'? Presumably it must be a few. Mine seems fine though. How do they spring apart?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    they have been selling them long enough that i am sure most are fine- you might be surprised if you took yours off and looked at the clamps- as long as they are mega tight when they fail it should not affect things that much

Exactly how big is your sample set of 'tendency to spring open'? Presumably it must be a few. Mine seems fine though. How do they spring apart?

they part at the captive nut- so they are still round the seat pin so in 99% of cases it will not be a problem

i was in the 1% where the minor loosening caused the unit to slip- i broke 3 before giving up

tried to get a torque setting from carradice- they just ignored me- happy enough to send out replacement clips, but all of course from the same production and exactly the same

regret I am now with a German bag- shame